Thread: Question about Triac specs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about Triac specs

I got a few of the Sean Bowf boards from last year but when I ordered the parts I ended up getting the BTB08-400C instead of the BTA08-600B...

From looking at the specs it appears the difference is the sensitivity of 25mA instead of 50mA. Also the BTB specs state that it is not insulated, but I do not know what that means...I did a continuity check and it appears the heat sinks are tied to the hot pin.

Do I need to order the correct triacs before I fire these up?

Post Thanks / Like

as far as I know that means don't put a heatsink on them or touch them becuase they are 110VAC on them!! I would order the insulated ones.

Ben
    128 lynx Freestyle DMX channels(not all used), 4 SSR4 DMX channels, 120 Ren24 channels, and 48 Ren16 channels!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ace, that's exactly what they mean by non-insulated... the tab is connected to the hot pin.

You can actually use a heatsink, just don't touch it!

And you probably don't want to share a single heat sink across more than one TRIAC.

On the other hand, there's no reason at all not to use these TRIACs in your SSRs.
    There sure as hell *are* user-serviceable parts inside!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question about Triac specs

Quote Originally Posted by acewingman
    I got a few of the Sean Bowf boards from last year but when I ordered the parts I ended up getting the BTB08-400C instead of the BTA08-600B...

From looking at the specs it appears the difference is the sensitivity of 25mA instead of 50mA. Also the BTB specs state that it is not insulated, but I do not know what that means...I did a continuity check and it appears the heat sinks are tied to the hot pin.

Do I need to order the correct triacs before I fire these up?
    For my money, I would return them and get a refund and order BTA, with isolated TABs.

Without the isolated tabs, you have a hell of a job insulating the TRIACS from the heatsink and the risk of touching a tab in error. for a few dollars, swap them over.

John.