Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: when do your lights / show come down?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: when do your lights / show come down?

Ugh - - no way am I taking my cords off - I just roll them around the controller box (or in my case multi-SSR) and store them that way. I got some of the bigger storage bins (like 5'x2'x2') and toss everything in there on the side of my house (not seen).
    [COLOR=#000080][B][I]Brian[/I][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Christmas in San Jose! - [URL="http://www.christmasinsj.com"]WEB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ChristmasInSanJose"]FB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1W78s7liEQEE0ed7WSyLF7B6j3lBX43w"]VIDEOS[/URL]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#800080]Halloween in San Jose! - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Halloween-in-San-Jose/356280784428581?ref=tn_tnmn"]FB[/URL]
    [SIZE=1]2015 Halloween Show - Planning now - hopefully some house projection...
    2015 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x 6804, Ren48LSD, 3x RenSS16, 1x Falcon16v2 (w/expander), 24x90 WS2811 pixel MT (James MT Strips), 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline
    [/SIZE]
    [/COLOR][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000][I]Ignorance is Temporary [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]- [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000][I]Stupidity is Forever[/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]...[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][I][COLOR=#ff0000]
    [/COLOR][/I]

Post Thanks / Like

James' photo reminded me that I'm becoming increasingly worried about the after-season storage issue. My sweet bride recently asked me where I was going to store these things I've made this year, in particular the singing choir wire frame which is about 4'wide and almost 10 feet long, the three 5' midi-trees, and the garage and net light frames. The conversation went something like this...

Mrs. Dirk: "So when do you think you'll be able to take the display down?"

Dirk: "Oh, probably the latter half of March, after all the ice melts. Why?"

Mrs. Dirk: "Where are you going to put it all?"

Dirk: "I think most of it will fit in the garage, maybe along the ceiling and above the garage door."

Mrs. Dirk: "You've got more stuff than last year, and much more than before that."

Dirk: "Yeah, I know. I've got a few new ideas for next year, too."

Mrs. Dirk: "More? Next year? Where will you store THAT stuff?"

Dirk: "Oh, I'll find the space, no problem."

Mrs. Dirk: "You could always move out..."

http://digwdf.com/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for more than a year, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

I typically keep mine on thru the weekend after the 1st, but I'm not sure what that means this year. Will the night of the 2nd be the last hurrah, or the night of the 9th? Hmm...

Pacifica, Calif (30mins from downtown San Francisco)
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll turn the show off on at 10 p.m., Jan. 2, and (weather permitting -- I'm allergic to rain) begin to pull things inside during that week. The guy who helps me with the ladder stuff will probably come on Jan. 8 or Jan. 9.

\dmc
    [b]uC/LED hacking:[/b] [url]http://www.dmcole.net/[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

I turn mine off at the end of the normal show time on Jan 1. I take it down as I have time, I feel like doing it, the weather is nice, etc. I don't like to pack stuff up that is wet. I try to take everything down in stages and label and sort everything so I can find it the following year and know where it goes as I set up again. The labels on the controllers and stuff also help when I want to find things to repair / upgrade / test during the non show season. I did build a 12 x 16 shed this year to get all the stuff out of the basement and my workshop so this year will the be first to get that organized good. I didn't move stuff before I setup so now I only have to move empty shelves and tubs in prep for putting everything away.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    James' photo reminded me that I'm becoming increasingly worried about the after-season storage issue. My sweet bride recently asked me where I was going to store these things I've made this year, in particular the singing choir wire frame which is about 4'wide and almost 10 feet long, the three 5' midi-trees, and the garage and net light frames. The conversation went something like this...

Mrs. Dirk: "So when do you think you'll be able to take the display down?"

Dirk: "Oh, probably the latter half of March, after all the ice melts. Why?"

Mrs. Dirk: "Where are you going to put it all?"

Dirk: "I think most of it will fit in the garage, maybe along the ceiling and above the garage door."

Mrs. Dirk: "You've got more stuff than last year, and much more than before that."

Dirk: "Yeah, I know. I've got a few new ideas for next year, too."

Mrs. Dirk: "More? Next year? Where will you store THAT stuff?"

Dirk: "Oh, I'll find the space, no problem."

Mrs. Dirk: "You could always move out..."

LMAO!

Too funny, Mr. Dirk. I get quizzed on storage immediately by the missus any time I mention adding to my Halloween or Christmas display. I keep telling her that we can start parking her car outside of the garage and have plenty of storage space.:D
    208 channels
    2 Ren 24SS / 4 REN 16SS / 2 REN 48LSD controllers
    8 Mighty Mini RGBW floods
    1 LEDTriks
    2 Helix V3 controllers and Vixen to rule them all

Post Thanks / Like

My show runs through New Year's Eve, then comes down when I have time on the "warm" days in January. Sometimes we don't get warm days until March, at least, not on the days I have off.

Post Thanks / Like

20" - WOW (depth of snow guys) do you have video links? Does that mean you design all your stuff so when there is no snow, they look like thay are all on stilts?

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    ROFLMAO!!!

I won't even see any of the controllers until about 20" of snow melts. Once the controllers are exposed, I have to wait until the ice melts around the cords so I can actually get pieces out.

Soon we'll be entering the 'COLD' part of the season. Up until now, it's been nice. Still zero, but to us, that's nice. Next month it'll get seriously ccccooollllddd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ben&bobbi View Post
    20" - WOW (depth of snow guys) do you have video links? Does that mean you design all your stuff so when there is no snow, they look like thay are all on stilts?
    No, but that's been suggested and it's not a bad idea... We use a modified "Texas" style, which means that we make everything bigger. My mini-trees are 4' tall -- but you can only see the top half of them. I have a few midi-trees, too and they're 5' tall -- but now that the plow has mounded the snow along my driveway, you can't see any of them. My megatree is 12' tall and you can see about the top 4' because of the mounds made by the plow. Here's the most recent posting I made, just a couple days ago:

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...7&postcount=34

http://digwdf.com/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for more than a year, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi:
    Probably start down on January 3, but working out there in the hot sun gives me a tan and that might lead to skin problems, so I will work only in the mornings before the sun gets too high and take a nap in the afternoon. Might take 3 or 4 days to get it down.
    [B][I][U]Idun

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast