Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SSR failure rate

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SSR failure rate

As Brain explained in his earlier post ESD is a very important concern and it should not be taken with a grain of salt, sort of speak, it is very dangerous to the electronic components that we use for Blinky Flashy. Damage may not be immediate as it can take awhile for symptoms to show up. I am not saying this is the problems with these triacs but general ESD precautions should always be part of handling any electronic component that you work with. I included a link that may help some of you better understand why it is very important to practice ESD procedures to help protect the time and effort you spend putting PCB's together so you don't have ESD failures later down the road. It is also a good idea to purchase an ESD Mat for when you build your PCB's, they are not expensive and they help eliminate ESD related failures. Here is a link if you would like to get an idea about ESD and the problems it can cause. I have been in the semiconductor industry since 1975 and I have seen a lot of ESD related failures that could of been avoided just by being ESD smart.

http://www.maelabs.ucsd.edu/mae_es/p...SD/ESDfund.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

An ESD wrist strap is not a bad idea either - just be sure to NEVER tie it to ground directly - it should bleed through a 1M resistor to leak off any charge you have. I have an ESD mat on my work bench that I got at a surplus place here when a business moved out.
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Grave Crawler, 2x 3-axis skulls, 4x 1-axis skulls, Video Projection (more)
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 3x Ren48LSD, 32x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budude View Post
    An ESD wrist strap is not a bad idea either - just be sure to NEVER tie it to ground directly - it should bleed through a 1M resistor to leak off any charge you have. I have an ESD mat on my work bench that I got at a surplus place here when a business moved out.
    They are both worth there weight in gold, as they should always be used when handling ESD sensitive devices. !!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Update:

I just sent 10 - bad BTA04-700t traics to mouser for Failure Analysis. I have not heard back from Ed at ST, I will give him till the end of the week then give him a call.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

never mind...
    Last edited by DennyMo; 12-09-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123