Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Firegod Flicker is back....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Firegod Flicker is back....RESOLVED!!!!!

Well, the persistence was well worth it!!
    David (Firegod) has been an incredible help with all this, and just continues to be a wonderful person to work with. Always willing to do everything he can to help, regardless of where he is in all of his travels.

The problem turned out to be that my SSR's were staying fired (occasionally, hence the flicker) for the next part of the half cycle on the power line. When this happened, the bulb burned very brightly for that entire half cycle since the triac stayed fired.

Firegod sent me a new set of firmware files that turned the output of the channel off just a tiny bit earlier each power line cycle than the previous firmware. Problem 100% solved!! Not even the slightest bit of flicker. This also solved the rough dimming issues since the lights are staying at there commanded levels throughout the dimming cycle.

He suspects that either my oscillators are not running at exactly 40mhz or possibly that the power to my home isn't exactly 60hz, I am going to take some measurements of that after the season, but for now, the FG dimmers are running absolutely smooth and flicker free.

Another wonderful success in my holiday decorating woes
    Thanks again David, and all the wonderful folks on this board that have helped over the years!
    -James

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Firegod Flicker is back....

Good news James.
    Did David update the Firmware files on the forum? or just send you new ones?

Lou
    Lou

Post Thanks / Like

So far he's just sent them to me... i'll ask him about posting them. Don't want to do that without permission! -James

Post Thanks / Like

I would really appreciate those files as well. Flicker is worse this year than ever before. I had to switch all my sequences to on or off only even with the EMI power conditioners

Post Thanks / Like

I worked really close with David, my first year, and he helped a lot getting me going. However, I know he can be extremely busy, and sometimes really slow to respond back. I am inclined to believe, that he wouldn't mind at all, you sharing the files, to help others. the original files are freely given, and I know he has worked a LOT with Greg and others, trying to help with the flicker problem (I never had it). I think I would share those files, since every day could be hurting someone's show that much more. And david I'm sure would concur, as well as probably be very appreciative, since he would know that works, at least in your case.

Just my $.02 worth. He put the system out there, for enjoyment, not to withhold files...plus, it's FAR easier to beg forgiveness, sometimes, than get permission...

R
    [IMG]http://crbest.com/vixenlogo02.jpg[/IMG]

Roger Phillips
    Oxford, IN
    256 channels of blinkin', dimmin' bliss...
    "[B][I]The road goes on forever, and the party never ends!![/I][/B] [I]Robert Earl Keen[/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Firegod Flicker is back....RESOLVED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcizek View Post
    Another wonderful success in my holiday decorating woes
    Thanks again David, and all the wonderful folks on this board that have helped over the years!
    -James
    Super Congrats!!
    I agree David is a great guy! And the wonderful folks mentioned certainly include Roger too!
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Ultimately, I am not even sure which flicker this post started about. Some of us (myself included) experienced flicker that was fairly uniform across the display (i.e. random flicker on all channels at the same time and rate & was also reflected on the **Field Module LEDs themselves**) while others simply experienced random flicker at random times across random channels and was not reflected in the FM LEDs. To cover all my bases I tried most every solution I found 1) checked and rechecked all Cat5, solder joints, and software settings, 2) replaced original 5Vregulator with a 6V model. 3) replaced main transformer with a beefier 3 amp model 4)Added EMI/RF sure suppressors to all SSR's. Still no luck.

Aaron

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough!! Merry Christmas to all... attached are the new files.

***Be aware though, these files are for SOURCING SSR's, not sinking. I have all sourcing SSR's like the original Firegod design.
    Hope it helps!
    -James
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm- im using the sinking SSRez's any idea if there is an easy way to convert the files?

Post Thanks / Like

I tried using the new sourcing files (above), and they worked great to fix flicker! However, when I program the source2 hex file on to my PIC chip, it thinks that its address is actually chip 1. So basically, using those four files, I get two chips addressed as field module 1 and two that are correct at 3 and 4. Has anyone had similar problems or been able to fix this? Thanks for all of your help!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast