Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting Out

Post Thanks / Like

MaxS-

I feel as if I am in the same situation as you. I've been daydreaming about computerizing my lights for the last few years (seems to be more intense around this time of year) and am finally going to take the first steps. I've been looking around at the different options and am trying to determine which route to take. I too would like to have the capability of dimming down the road, but I'm a little concerned about programming the PICs. I've never done that before and don't know what it will take.

If I were to go the 595 route with a REN-C, do the REN-C use PICs as well? Also, can the 595/REN-C combo be daisy chained to have several boards on one parallel port? These are some of the questions that I've been having while browsing this forum.

What about costs of each? I know that it will be more expensive to populate the REN64 board than the 595, but will it make up the difference in price after adding the REN-C and REN-T to the 595? Does anyone have general costs for building the different controllers?

I did PM wjohn about blank SSROZ 2.5d PCBs and he said that he's getting several in soon. I assume that he's going to have the controller PCBs as well (except for the 595?). Let me know what your thinking of doing and any info that might help me make my decision.

Thanks,
    ppohlman

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, OK, I'll definitely be going Renard64 then. When I do order/etch and put together my PCBs my only remaining concerns will be how they should be wired for correct power, and how to program the PIC. I'll deal with this when I get there though, and in the meantime I'll go through the wiki some more. Thanks for the help!

Ppohlman, yes, I believe the Ren-Cs do use PICs; don't quote me on this. The Ren-C/595 combo can be daisy chained, but you'll need a Ren-C for each 595 you want dimmed. It also shouldn't be more expensive to populate a Ren64 over a 595. They use the same SSR enclosures, and I believe the boards end up costing just about the same. You'll still need a Ren-T, no matter what option you choose. Also, if you do go with Ren-C/595, you'll end up using the serial port, as it'll effectively be a single Ren64.

Post Thanks / Like

The Ren-T and SSR boards are quite suitable for etching, but don't even think about etching the Renard64 boards for one minute.

As for using the Ren-C/595 combination, I would recommend that only if you already have the 595 or Grinch boards or have some compelling reason for starting out with one of those boards.

--

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

The Ren-T and SSR boards are quite suitable for etching, but don't even think about etching the Renard64 boards for one minute.

Why cant you etch a Renard64?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AaronG
    Why cant you etch a Renard64?
    Tight spacing, 2 sided and very complex design. It would be almost impossible to get everything aligned with such close tolerances.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

Brin thanks I have been wonduring that for a while now I guess that is why I can not find the trace any where.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12