Thread: LED Lights not working properly

Post Thanks / Like

Default LED Lights not working properly

I looked on the forum but did not see a post dealing with this issue.

I have two strands of LED lights that will not come on completely. This happens even when I plug them directly into a wall outlet. They worked when I first got them out this year, but now after I have everything rigged up, they are not coming on. At best they are on 25%. I tried changing the fuses, but no luck. Does anyone know what the issue might be and can it be fixed?

Thanks
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: LED Lights not working properly

Do they run off a plug pack or do they directly plug into a wall outlet?
    If they run off a plug pack you might be using the wrong one and not sending them enough voltage.
    Jon
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Video files on You Tube [url]http://au.youtube.com/user/JabiruLights[/url] plus static photos in the album section of this forum [url]http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/album.php?u=287[/url]

The 2012 Show is up and running.

Post Thanks / Like

Are they used or been exposed to the weather? If they are the non-sealed type LEDs (the kind you can replace) you may have developed rust on the leads of some of them. This will add more resistance and cause them to be dim. If you have this type, just walk through them all and see if that is the case. I had a few that the leads were completely rusted off - only the initial compression was letting them light at all. I had to replace the LEDs with some 3mm that I had sitting around from a project.
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Grave Crawler, 2x 3-axis skulls, 4x 1-axis skulls, Video Projection (more)
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 3x Ren48LSD, 32x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

BUDUDE

Whats up with the LED strings rusting anyways???

A friend of mine gave me some of his old LED light strings and they werent working at times, took the bulbs loose and found just that! RUST!

Why is it that these lights rust when the incandescents wont rust?

Whats in the leads of these lights versus the others?

Post Thanks / Like

Incans tend to be copper wires - not sure of the exact makeup of the LED leads but obviously there's some iron in there and/or it's reacting to the different metal of the socket when moisture is added.
    Brian

2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Grave Crawler, 2x 3-axis skulls, 4x 1-axis skulls, Video Projection (more)
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 3x Ren48LSD, 32x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, PixaBulb House outline

Post Thanks / Like

Also there's the possibility of the normal corrosion that happens between two different metals when they become in contact with one another. Copper wire and any kind of ferrous metal will corrode over time -- it's just the nature of things.

...and.... it's one of the reasons I'm still reluctant to invest in LED lighting yet... although I have 9 strings out there this year. They look great, but we'll see how they fair. (Am I a big spender or what?:roll
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

They plug directly into the wall. No power pack.

They are also the sealed type...the blubs can't be replaced.

This happened on two strands when I first purchased these lights 3 years ago, and I had them replaced. The guy said there might be something with the "transformer"? I guess it's that tube shaped thing that comes after the plug but before the first light. Anyone know anything about this? How to fix it?

These lights have about 700 hours on them, they're supposed to last 50,000. This is not going to be cheaper in the long run if I have to keep replacing strands.

Post Thanks / Like

The tube shape thing is probably the current limiting resistor(s) and a diode or two to convert the AC to DC. It's possible it is the issue also but they typically don't come apart too easily (if at all) - worth a shot since they don't sound too useful as-is...
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Solved my own issues. Went back to the strand I removed. Plugged them in and started pushing on all the bulbs. After about 5, the whole strand came on. Although the bulb next to it went out completely. And then had another strand in my display go out tonight. Went through the same process of pushing on the bulbs. Finally found the one and they all came back on...and the bulb next to it went out completely...weird. One bulb out is better than replacing the whole strand.

Hope this helps anyone else who might run into the same thing.