View Poll Results: What's most important to you?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scripted sequences

56 35.44%
  • Remote access (e.g. internet, local network)

60 37.97%
  • Triggers

49 31.01%
  • Dimming curves

63 39.87%
  • Inputs - recorded to a sequence

44 27.85%
  • Inputs - live execution

47 29.75%
  • Object models for developers

42 26.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of Vixen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The State of Vixen

KC,

I am in the process of learning Vixen, and quite frankly I am having one heck of a time despite the help files and tutorials. While adding advanced features may benefit experienced users, newer users may consider alternative programs that may be more intuitive. In my case, I was going to have my daughter sequence for my Ren64. She asked me for the user manual, so that she could install Vixen and start working on the sequences. Not an easy task for a beginner!

BOTTOM LINE: More folks MAY use/enjoy Vixen if "how to resources" were better defined. Please understand that I not trying to be critical, or ungrateful of your works.

-Charlie
    -Chaz
    From the "small" town of Naperville, Illinois USA
    My wife says, "You want to do what !?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    KC,

I am in the process of learning Vixen, and quite frankly I am having one heck of a time despite the help files and tutorials. While adding advanced features may benefit experienced users, newer users may consider alternative programs that may be more intuitive. In my case, I was going to have my daughter sequence for my Ren64. She asked me for the user manual, so that she could install Vixen and start working on the sequences. Not an easy task for a beginner!

BOTTOM LINE: More folks MAY use/enjoy Vixen if "how to resources" were better defined. Please understand that I not trying to be critical, or ungrateful of your works.

-Charlie
    This has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread and while additional documentation and resources might clear this up I think the bigger issue is the current UI. While its very feature rich its not overly intuitive. I think a reasonable goal for v3.0 UI is that its easy enough for the beginner to learn quickly and advanced enough for the seasoned pro skipping the need for tutorial videos and an over abundance of documentation.
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

Running Vixen backwards would be really useful. I'd like to listen to DMX or ACN and record them back into Vixen files..
    [B][FONT=Arial]stell[COLOR="#FF0000"]a[/COLOR][COLOR="#008000"]s[/COLOR][COLOR="#0000CD"]c[/COLOR]apes[/FONT][/B] - LED lighting solutions for the Prosumer, Commercial and Entertainment Industries.
    Doing pixels first since 2009 with [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAt6A98lXQw"]just another megatree.[/URL]
    Follow us on Facebook at [url]www.facebook.com/stellascapes[/url]
    web: [url]www.stellascapes.com[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Hi KC

First of all thanks for all of your hard work. The one thing I would like to see in the preview is a way to draw let's say a mini tree and copy and paste it and assign the pasted mini tree to a new channel or add it to the same channel, it is very time consuming to redraw 5 or 10 of the same objects over and over.

Again, thank you so much for all the time and hard work you have put into Vixen.

Gary
    Last edited by JP90; 11-20-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

So far, the poll looks like KC's direction is simple: put in every conceivable feature and function ever devised by humankind and those that have yet to be even imagined, make each simple, easy and quick to use, make it perform perfectly, make it load in less than 2 seconds, make it open source, and of course, make it free. Oh yeah, forgot... make it backwards compatible with all known systems on the planet.

We're not really asking that much, are we?

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

GREAT to hear from you KC.

I never left so consider yourself complimented!

I voted for dimming curves but you need to know a parallel input trigger to V2.1 ran my Halloween , somewhat scary, entry-way, perfectly . . . every time.

I can't thank you enough for all the fun you have enabled me to have since 2006!

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

KC,

Do what you can and able, and what makes YOU feel good. Everything you’ve accomplished with Vixen has made the current hobby what it is, which is 1000% above Excel exports and Parallel Port cards on/off. (The very old days!)

If I may speak for all (some) of the “Blinky-Flashy” and specifically Vixen users, past and present, converts and returning defectors, “Hey, it works!” As with any tool, use it to its limits for its intended purpose. When the user of the tool realizes there are improvements to be made or had, then evolution is making a steam of breath. If the tool meets the expectations and intensions as is - life is grand - and better than it would have been without. Vixen is the equivalent to the super-powerful, reciprocating, magazine fed, air/electric powered nail gun verses a goat satchel of tin (sic) finishing nails and a cheap, bronze-era tacking hammer made of stone.

There will always be a tomorrow, and few of today’s technology, attitude or creativity will experience any life tomorrow. “Improvement” and “tomorrow” are synonymous.

Both take time.

I, for one, am amazed how a few individuals contribute, selfishly and with great self-sacrifice, to the growth of so many. Thank you KC!

Finally, I cannot think of any other hobbies experiencing the evolution of growth as this one.

Joe

(P.S. I’m amazed how many of the two-initial contributors do so much for all of us! KC, RJ… (grin))

Post Thanks / Like

Its not so much that I love Vixen, but in general it does what it does very well and I have become comfortable in being able to depend on it. Lots of software out there I can't say the same for so thank you KC!

If there was a core capability that hasn't been mentioned yet that I could get, it would have to be a variable data stream output delay relative to the audio stream. This would allow compensation for audio delay introduced by either software based or outboard processors.

Post Thanks / Like

KC,

Windows XP has been out since August 2001!

I personally feel its safe enough to say that making XP the min for Vixen3.0 would not cause heartache for many if anyone at all. Especially if it solves some issues for you.

If anyone is STILL running Win9x or 2K and doing Blinky-Flashy, its time to put down the soldering iron and go buy a new system.

Even a trailing edge system capable of XP can be had for the price of a few strings of LED's.

I have a 100% dedicated system for Vixen, Wireless 'net only on long enough to do system updates. Otherwise is a closed system. I also have my 2 project systems, Linux and XP that I use and blow up on a regular basis.

I still cringe when I hear folks opening their systems to complete strangers so they can iPhone control or remotely add or influence the display.
    Cheers!
    Steve

Learn 1 new thing everyday.

"AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

My weather today

Chat link | Christmas Wiki link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFromOzarks View Post
    (P.S. Im amazed how many of the two-initial contributors do so much for all of us! KC, RJ (grin))
    It would be awesome if someone could write the history of the DIY computer controlled scene - with an emphasis on the people.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast