View Poll Results: What's most important to you?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scripted sequences

56 35.44%
  • Remote access (e.g. internet, local network)

60 37.97%
  • Triggers

49 31.01%
  • Dimming curves

63 39.87%
  • Inputs - recorded to a sequence

44 27.85%
  • Inputs - live execution

47 29.75%
  • Object models for developers

42 26.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of Vixen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The State of Vixen

There have been some cool plugins for Vixen, some just recently released. I think 'object models' would get more votes if people were aware of how it is useful.
    2009 (2) Ren SS24, (1) Ren 24LV, 3 Mminis
    2010 (3) Ren SS24, (3) Ren 24LV, (6) Mminis, (12) SSRez, (13) Super Strips RGB+W, (8) Super Strips UV+W, (2) Ren 48LSD, RPM DMX
    2011 Adding (50) AussiePhil strobes, Pixel strings looking tempting
    2019 ?? 10-year anniversary on DIYC. Go big or go home??

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you're still here KC! Any news about Vixen 3 is good news. I've been using vixen since .91 (I still have all the old versions sitting on my HD) and aren't going anywhere.

If you need Alpha/beta testing, just holler.
    Zaker

1 - Ren 64
    4 - Ren 24
    1 - Ren48LSD
    2 - E681
    LOTS OF LIGHTS!!
    [URL]http://lights.quietwebhosting.com[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome KC, thanks for all the hard work, hope Version 3 will become everything you want it to be.
    [B]Boucher Family Lights
    [URL="http://pachristmas.com"]http://pachristmas.com[/URL][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

But I run Windows 2000 on my computer, and newer releases of .Net are just not available. I would imagine I may be a loner or there are very few who are also using the older OS, but I use a dedicated machine for this, recycled from the trash bin at work, and can't justify the upgrade expense for something I may use for 1 month out of the year.
    I was hoping to take the min requirements up to XP just because of issues that have arisen due to using 2k and 9x. I don't want to cause any added expense for anyone. I did take the application up to version 3.5 of the framework for a multitude of reasons and have been playing with 4.0 because of dynamic binding. I'm looking at the requirements matrix for the different versions right now and it looks like XP is the minimum for both of them. Sorry about that. We have a pretty large community here with an active economy, maybe someone can make you a deal?

And if people can't modify their poll choices then there goes my plans to update the poll as we go.

...but what I really need is a way to cope with RGB colour mixing and chasing a number of channels mixing form one colour to another.
    RGB color mixing will be addressed with the implementation of multi-channel fixtures. As far as mixing goes, that would be an editor issue. However, an application-level module making use of the application's object model would be able to get access to the current selection in the sequence and...and much more will be possible.

...having bought a license for the opposition...
    I'm not going to fault anyone for doing that. Like I've always said, go with what works for you. If it's Vixen, I consider it a personal compliment.

Will you be offering any Beta testing on the Vixen 3.0...
    Yes...eventually. Before that, however, would be an extensive alpha cycle for the brave to work problems out of the core application. The difficulty is that it's hard to get a good amount of feedback during the off-season. People have lives.

I think 'object models' would get more votes if people were aware of how it is useful.
    I'm sure someone else can explain this better than me. I'll try to use an example. An add-in is a great example.

The add-in author gets access to the sequence that's being edited, but it's very limited information that's available. They can read and write basic information, such as what's in the cells, but they don't know what cells are selected. They don't know of anything beyond that one sequence and only the few things available in that sequence.

With a decent application object model in place, they would get access to the application as a whole. They would know about every sequence open and details, for example, such as what cells are selected, the last range of cells executed, the last operations used, what's currently being executed, etc. They would even get access to areas outside of sequences, such as the menus. These are just examples, the full design of what will be exposed hasn't been finished.

Glad to hear you're still here KC! Any news about Vixen 3 is good news. I've been using vixen since .91 (I still have all the old versions sitting on my HD) and aren't going anywhere.
    They say that familiarity builds contempt, but an old friend is always welcome. .91...wow...that brings up memories of late nights with Jeff Penington. The good ol' days.

Aside, one goal of the rewrite has been to create a robust core application and implement anything unnecessary as external modules that can be replaced without affecting the application. The application itself will only be able to do what's necessary to execute a sequence. For example, in 2.x, scheduling is integrated into the application. Changes to the scheduler means rebuilding the application as a whole and an update is required. In 3.0, it would be implemented as an external module so if it needs to be completely replaced (or you want to use scheduler B instead of scheduler A), you replace that single module and the robust application is untouched. Much less opportunity for introducing bugs that way.

Simplicity has been mentioned several times. I really want to keep that. There is a principle called "convention over configuration". Assumptions are made so that users have fewer decisions to make. Configuration is still available to allow for desired behavior. If this can be maintained, then the application would be ready-to-use out of the box, but experienced users have the opportunity to do more. An example would be dimming curves -- they're there, but if you don't touch them they assume a default configuration.

Thanks for the input, guys. I hope this ends up being useful for you all. If not, hey, there's always 2.1! :D

Post Thanks / Like

KC
    You have some fantastic software here, and so many of us love it. Any improvement would be just icing on the cake, and very welcomed. I cant wait to see what you come up with next.

As for testing, (extensive alpha cycle for the brave to work problems out of the core application), I'm in. I have a full simulator set up in my office year round just to work with Vixen. And trust me, I push the limits on everything Vixen does. As for working in the off-season, I normally start my work for the next years display in march. So never feel that the testing would not give you enough feedback. There are a lot of us out here that would love to help.

Keep up the great work, and never feel that you have failed at anything. You have put so many smiles on peoples faces.
    tweist
    736 Channels
    65+ Wireless Ren controllers
    [COLOR="#0000FF"](2013) 25+ houses[/COLOR]
    (2012) 20 houses total
    (2011) 13 houses total
    2012 video
    [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KVM_EPKYMM[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

I have been running a version that identifies itself as 2.5.0.4 for two years now and it has had no issues for me.

I purchased 504 RGB pixel nodes that I wanted to place in a 24 x 21 matrix, seeing no easy way to sequence them, I too strayed.

I found no easy way to reorder the channel outputs, or support for profiles.
    Please do not EVER take these features away.

What I would like to see is the preview fixed so if multiple colors are overlaid, the pixel eventually turns white, not black as it currently does.

Anything you can do to support RGB will be most appreciated.

Last and most important I would like support for animations.
    I think we have a workaround for this year, but native support is always better.
    The following threads follow its evolution this year.

http://forums.auschristmaslighting.c...pic,421.0.html
    http://forums.auschristmaslighting.c...pic,438.0.html
    http://forums.auschristmaslighting.c...pic,504.0.html

Yes vixen can do this.... everything after 40 seconds is being generated from vixen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-b_Oc_5gmI

Thanks for all the great work.

Joel
    Lets get serious, I have over 10,000 channels on my back, just where do you want to start counting.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a competing product this year with hopes for better RGB support but fell back to using Vixen as it is a GREAT program. Better RGB tools would be the one thing I'd like to see as RGB fixtures become more and more prevalent in our light shows.

Understanding the time commitment it takes to develop software like this, thanks for all the work you have and plan to put into it!

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the effort to minimize impact due to changes in a feature or interface. I hope that the external modules go as far as the UI, too, as I understand that those driving 1000's of RGB nodes prefer to sequence 'off the grid' so to speak. Triggering currently unpredictable destinations (apps, PCs, web devices, telephones, ?) and accepting triggering from unpredictable sources (car remote starters, joysticks, Wii's, motion detectors, simple switches, optical sensors, ?) makes the effort to go to object models beautiful as it will allow many more programmers to offer many more modules to interface with your core.
    Thank you for the update and fine tools. And again, I appreciate the effort in starting over with a new infrastructure and totally new application.

Post Thanks / Like

KC,

I've been using 2.1.4.0 for 2 years now with no issues. I use Vixen to run my Halloween and Christmas shows. You have definately created a great piece of software and I am always amazed at what it can do.

I briefly tryed VenueMagic mainly because I'm still new at this DMX stuff and wanted to see what commercial software could do. Turns out your software is still hard to beat.

The one feature I did like in VenueMagic was the ability to drop multiple sound bites onto the time line. The software would automatically merge the various sounds together. For example dropping a short section of thunder onto an existing song.

As multiple people have stated anything you add to the existing software will just be gravy. Couldn't agree more and look forward to what you come up with for your next release.
    I'm in my own little world. But it's OK they know me here.

Post Thanks / Like

KC,
    I used 2.5 last year and will this year. The only bug I find overly annoying is the dimming curves mapped to the wrong channel. While it does crash if you push some buttons in the wrong order or at the wrong time, I've been able to work around those easily.
    One feature we have been brainstorming to implement would be requests via text message. Getting the SMS message to the computer and figuring out what song was requested is doable, I just don't see any way to stack the requests into a song queue for Vixen. It would also be nice to provide feedback to the texter on how many songs down the queue they are.

To boil it down... a song queue instead of a program, and a trigger to add a song to the queue, with a hook in the Object Model to see the current queue; Or if the OM is robust/documented, my son could write an addin.

Overall you have created a great program. i wouldn't be doing blinky without Vixen.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast