Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is search really your friend?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is search really your friend?

No matter how I phrase a search, I get far to many non relevant responses, even in advanced and using "" or boolean.

eg, I'm trying to find out about connections on the flood strips, so flood strip common ground, produces the same as "flood strip" "common ground" and flood AND strip AND common AND ground etc.

Is this right? Is there a secret?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is search really your friend?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrotech View Post
    No matter how I phrase a search, I get far to many non relevant responses, even in advanced and using "" or boolean.

eg, I'm trying to find out about connections on the flood strips, so flood strip common ground, produces the same as "flood strip" "common ground" and flood AND strip AND common AND ground etc.

Is this right? Is there a secret?
    The secret is to use google.. ie

flood strip common ground site:doityourselfchristmas.com

I agree, the search here is lacking (ie not being able to search short strings), but I don't think any vB search will ever be as good as google anyway.
    2009 (2) Ren SS24, (1) Ren 24LV, 3 Mminis
    2010 (3) Ren SS24, (3) Ren 24LV, (6) Mminis, (12) SSRez, (13) Super Strips RGB+W, (8) Super Strips UV+W, (2) Ren 48LSD, RPM DMX
    2011 Adding (50) AussiePhil strobes, Pixel strings looking tempting
    2019 ?? 10-year anniversary on DIYC. Go big or go home??

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for that, sometimes the obvious escapes you....

Post Thanks / Like

second that, i tried a search for rgb.... returned 0 results...

Post Thanks / Like

Ha. I searched for "pink fluffy bunnies" after getting aggrevated with the 499 results for everything... And yes, I got over 100 hits. Google is great suggestion, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g8rfn View Post
    Ha. I searched for "pink fluffy bunnies" after getting aggrevated with the 499 results for everything... And yes, I got over 100 hits. Google is great suggestion, thanks.
    Don't exagerate. The search isn't great, but I don't think you got any results when searching for "Pink Fluffy Bunnies" I didn't anyway.

The Tag search is a great tool. Especially if people Tag their threads accordingly. Your "RGB" search will yield results and there doesn't seem to be a limit. I'm also certain that is less processor intensive on the system since they are essentially canned results defined in the system.

The search tool is a basic programmatic search. Looks like Brian is planning an upgrade early next year and I understand it includes improved Search features.
    Last edited by kychristmas; 12-05-2010 at 12:31 PM.
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]Dark Yard again for 2017 [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2] Still searching for more Time and Money[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="BLUE"][URL="https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyChristmas"]Display Facebook Page[/URL][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

I did the search, and Pink Fluffy Bunnies does in fact return nearly 100 matches (94 when I did it).

The problem here with search is the 25 second delay that is imposed. I know that there is a limit to prevent DoS attacks, but 25 secs is a bit much (1-5 would be better and accomplish the same thing).

I say the 25 second wait is the problem because you can't refine a search in a reasonable amount of time. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 searches to narrow down what you are looking for. That means waiting around doing nothing for almost 2 mins.
    -Mike
    [URL="http://www.LandoLights.com"]www.LandoLights.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.sequencecenter.com"]www.SequenceCenter.com[/URL] --> Vixen/LOR Sequences and More

Post Thanks / Like

If you're using Firefox, you can setup a "Quick Search" to easily use Google to search DIYC. Whenever you want to search, just type in a keyword and the search term in the address bar and press enter. For example, I used "DIYC" as the keyword, so I can type DIYC Pink Fluffy Bunnies and it will return 0 results on Google. :-)

To set it up, you add a bookmark in the "Quick Searches" folder of Firefox (I have found some installations don't have the folder. Then edit the properties of the bookmark to this:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=%s+site%3Adoityourselfchristmas.com&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images
    Keyword: DIYC (or anything you want)

Definitely easier than typing site:doityourselfchristmas.com into Google all the time (I always make some sort of typo)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kychristmas View Post
    Don't exagerate. The search isn't great, but I don't think you got any results when searching for "Pink Fluffy Bunnies" I didn't anyway.

The Tag search is a great tool. Especially if people Tag their threads accordingly. Your "RGB" search will yield results and there doesn't seem to be a limit. I'm also certain that is less processor intensive on the system since they are essentially canned results defined in the system.

The search tool is a basic programmatic search. Looks like Brian is planning an upgrade early next year and I understand it includes improved Search features.

Perhaps check your results again before waving your finger? 99% of the time, if you search for anything even semi-legitimate, you get 499 results. And, rarely is the one that is actually most relevant even on the first page. Even on the "pfb" search, this thread came up second.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kychristmas View Post

If you did indeed capitalize it, you would get different results.

In my experience, most search engines assume a case-insensitive search when the search terms are all lowercase. If capital letters are used, they switch to a case-sensitive search.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast