Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546

Thread: RGB LED's Now Consumer Grade - Hackable?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RGB LED's Now Consumer Grade - Hackable?

[QUOTE=jerrymac;148882]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mactayl View Post
    If these are anything like the Gemmy Lights that I hacked ..............QUOTE]
    I have a set of the gemmy lights I would like to address. how difficult was your hack and could you share the process?
    The Gemmy Lights that I hacked are not like these described in this thread, they are the Gemmy Incredible Light Show Christmas Trees that have a controller for each tree. the LED's are not individually controlled nodes. Each string has 5 to 8 RGB LED modules and uses 3 channels of the controller for each light string. There are 3 Trees, Large (33 channels) Medium (21 channels) and Small (18 channels) I use a combination of Simple Renards for a total of 72 channels and add blank channels in Vixen because of the odd combinations that are addressed to each Simple Renard which needs to be addressed in groups of 8 channels.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mactayl;148884]
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrymac View Post

The Gemmy Lights that I hacked are not like these described in this thread, they are the Gemmy Incredible Light Show Christmas Trees that have a controller for each tree. the LED's are not individually controlled nodes. Each string has 5 to 8 RGB LED modules and uses 3 channels of the controller for each light string. There are 3 Trees, Large (33 channels) Medium (21 channels) and Small (18 channels) I use a combination of Simple Renards for a total of 72 channels and add blank channels in Vixen because of the odd combinations that are addressed to each Simple Renard which needs to be addressed in groups of 8 channels.
    no to change the subject interest...is there a wiki topic for RGB and Nodes?
    [B][I]MY Favorite Links:[/I][/B]
    [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page"][COLOR="red"]Christmas Wiki[/COLOR][/URL] | [URL="https://www.facebook.com/dancingofthelights"][COLOR="red"]My Facebook Page[/COLOR][/URL] | [URL="https://www.calvertimage.com"][COLOR="red"]My Website[/COLOR][/URL]
    144 - Renard48lsd channels
    272 - channels in use
    40,000 lights synchronized and static

50% assembled and displayed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBen View Post
    Oh come on now, this thread is 45 pages long I don't expect anyone to read this whole thing.
    well, I was interested in doing something with 'em, after reading darco's blog, and the pointer here, so *I* read the thread, you're saying it's fine to turn it into noise of repeats?

and by saying "This is a reformatted version of Draco's original blog post, which is contained in this thread." it *SEEMS* like you're expecting them to read it... if not in the first place, then certainly afterwards....

before would improve the signal to noise ratio.
    Last edited by diamaunt; 01-30-2011 at 02:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

wow... off topic... lets get back to lights and broads, and stop bickering over reading comprehension skills....

Post Thanks / Like

Any updates on testing of the GE interfaces?

Post Thanks / Like

I too am following this. Got a set of lights myself and would like to control them. Any more details?

Post Thanks / Like

Right now I have 3 boards out to folks for testing. Assuming no issues surface that are related to the hardware design, my plan is to order enough PC boards to bring the per-board cost down to $10 or so. That way I can offer a blank PC board and a pre-programmed eeprom for less than $15 to anyone that wants to build their own, even before a coop gets organized. The PC board is the main part that is significantly cheaper in quantity, and a pre-programmed eeprom eliminates the need to have a prop programmer. The ethernet module has no price break, and the CPU doesn't have much.

If all goes according to plan, I expect to have PC boards available by the 2nd week of March.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstjohnz View Post
    Right now I have 3 boards out to folks for testing. Assuming no issues surface that are related to the hardware design, my plan is to order enough PC boards to bring the per-board cost down to $10 or so. That way I can offer a blank PC board and a pre-programmed eeprom for less than $15 to anyone that wants to build their own, even before a coop gets organized. The PC board is the main part that is significantly cheaper in quantity, and a pre-programmed eeprom eliminates the need to have a prop programmer. The ethernet module has no price break, and the CPU doesn't have much.

If all goes according to plan, I expect to have PC boards available by the 2nd week of March.
    I would be interested.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread has become a catch-all mess...I'm locking it. Starting a new thread or posting elsewhere is more appropriate imo than adding to this thread.
    Phil

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546