Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: RGB LED's Now Consumer Grade - Hackable?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RGB LED's Now Consumer Grade - Hackable?

Quote Originally Posted by Neepawa View Post
    Oh right, it's RGB not RBG...my bad.

If anyone has any other patterns they'd like to see, feel free to post a description and I'll try to write the corresponding code. I'm probably better at coding than coming up with interesting light patterns, so I'd like to capitalize on the experience of those in this community if possible.
    Man updating the firmware on my arduino made a huge difference, now I can update on a whim, works like a charm (linux).

Have similar issues "http://www.strangeparty.com/2010/12/13/fix-your-arduino-uno-for-linux/" go there, good stuff. latest firmware/hex is Dec 4th!

But I've got the strings to do full white with a single red chase till the end, or I can do as you were setting it up to chase 2-3 nodes over a 6 node pattern, I prefer it going all the way vs having x/50 start points. Also made it just go back and forth between 2 nodes, lil police light

I see a bit of flickering on a couple of nodes on occasion but otherwise these are bright and seem to be able to do a ton of different things, it's all about imagination and well coding (I'm not quite there yet, I can hack your code, but creating it from byte zero, not quite there yet). Also found orange, so good for halloween hahahaha

right now it's a 49 led white strand with a single red chase

Guess it's all imagination now, but as I said earlier this string will get expensive if you need an arduino for each string.

I also wonder if we upped the amperage could we negate some of the lesser "white" where it's kind of purplish or other.

Now to figure out how to use these with existing controllers. I mean vixen can't send out these pulses.. hmmm leave that to you larger melons on here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Livermore-Dad View Post
    ...I also wonder if we upped the amperage could we negate some of the lesser "white" where it's kind of purplish or other...
    Not that I actually *have* a string... or a controller... yet - but from the "interactive demo" I saw on the manufacturer's web site (Santa's Best), even the from-the-factory lame controller had an all-white all-on constant lit mode. If you've stayed within the 0xCC maximum intensity and maximum RGB=0xDD values (as discovered by Darco by snooping the stock controller), then I wouldn't expect to see this degradation, unless you've lengthened the supply lines, or used smaller gauge wire, or a smaller power supply than the wall wart that comes standard.

Or, the design from the factory is flawed - an unfortunate possibility.

Just my $0.02

Al

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ags0000 View Post
    Not that I actually *have* a string... or a controller... yet - but from the "interactive demo" I saw on the manufacturer's web site (Santa's Best), even the from-the-factory lame controller had an all-white all-on constant lit mode. If you've stayed within the 0xCC maximum intensity and maximum RGB=0xDD values (as discovered by Darco by snooping the stock controller), then I wouldn't expect to see this degradation, unless you've lengthened the supply lines, or used smaller gauge wire, or a smaller power supply than the wall wart that comes standard.

Or, the design from the factory is flawed - an unfortunate possibility.

Just my $0.02

Al
    Ya my power connection is actually shorter now, my data is a tad longer, but don't believe that would cause degradation on the color output., so <shrug>

Tory

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any information and/or code for lights that use CYT3005 chips?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TangoAlpha View Post
    Does anyone have any information and/or code for lights that use CYT3005 chips?
    I have worked on that a bit but don't have anything yet. My controller supports the 6803, 2801, and the GE-type strings at present, and will drive up to 12 50-pixel strings via dmx.

I have a 3005-based string to play with but haven't had the time yet to do it. If you find any documentation on this chip please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstjohnz View Post
    I have worked on that a bit but don't have anything yet. My controller supports the 6803, 2801, and the GE-type strings at present, and will drive up to 12 50-pixel strings via dmx.

I have a 3005-based string to play with but haven't had the time yet to do it. If you find any documentation on this chip please let me know.
    Can you send me a link about your controller?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmcpa View Post
    Yea... just "Cleaned out" my 2 local costco's of these two strings, as costco doesn't clearance holiday stiff, it 99.99% of the time sells out at full price.

My net haul: 1 Strand.....

I think these things sold VERY well this year, I would expect them back next year!

I did get my hands on the wireframes snowmen... they are not using an RF remote, standard push button on the box... different patterns also... but wiring looks the same!

I think getting theses things to be Vixen/LSP compatible would be great for next year... I would suggest having the controller close to the beginning of the strand to avoid data errors. Small waterproof boxes for something like this can be easily obtained from Lowes or Home Depot.
    The controller and power supply should both be near the strings. I am using 4 home-brew controllers to control 40 strings of pixels. I mount each controller and a power supply in a waterproof enclosure and try to keep the cable run for each pixel string to 10 feet or less. My controller will run the GE strings, and is DMX in so it is compatible with any software that will output DMX. The only gotcha so far is trying to convert 3 8-bit DMX RGB channels to drive these strings; if you leave the master intensity alone to avoid glitches, you are limited to 16 brightness levels, so slow fades can look choppy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Livermore-Dad View Post
    Can you send me a link about your controller?
    Se this thread:
    http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...006#post139006

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks , with so much information and so many different things I seem to forget what I've seen and not.

I've seen that post multiple times but didn't register.

Have you posted anything relating to your board and the G35's? I've seen your pixel window/wall. But wondered

Are you going to make another run of those boards, or are you planning that for 2011 with some rework?

Post Thanks / Like

The information I have found so far that's been in English (sort of)...

CYT3005.pdf
    CYT9000.pdf

Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast