Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: RGB LED's Now Consumer Grade - Hackable?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default RGB LED's Now Consumer Grade - Hackable?

Any thoughts on hacking these to work DIY? The strings are fairly well constructed (I'm looking at a set night now I got to play with). Looks like the power Supply is 5V DC 3A per 50 nodes. Each node looks addressable.... It only comes with an RF Remote with 2 buttons, On/Off & Function

The are running them off 3 wires... I assume 5vdc+ 5vdc- and Data.
    6x Triangle Security Screws Hold the box closed.... Not sure I have that bit yet (I only have 50 other security bits!)

http://www.santasbestcraft.com/produ...35-string-sets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RGB LED's Now Consumer Grade - Hackable?

Scope/logic analyzer the data line.

Where did you buy yours? The link appears to be to GE's holiday lighting site?

Central (like the actual center) PA , USA
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmcpa View Post
    Any thoughts on hacking these to work DIY? The strings are fairly well constructed (I'm looking at a set night now I got to play with). Looks like the power Supply is 5V DC 3A per 50 nodes. Each node looks addressable.... It only comes with an RF Remote with 2 buttons, On/Off & Function

The are running them off 3 wires... I assume 5vdc+ 5vdc- and Data.
    6x Triangle Security Screws Hold the box closed.... Not sure I have that bit yet (I only have 50 other security bits!)

http://www.santasbestcraft.com/produ...35-string-sets
    DUDE THANK YOU FOR THAT Link! I saw these at Lowes and I couldn't find a single picture or anything.

I agree... they look like a good hack start...definitely need to get a scope on them.
    They seem to individually addressable.

Tony M.

Have to back track...looks like groups of 3 are big for these units... not sure if they are individually addressable.
    Last edited by A Marchini; 11-06-2010 at 01:32 AM.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary, those that don't and some who know Gray encoding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Marchini View Post
    Have to back track...looks like groups of 3 are big for these units... not sure if they are individually addressable.
    Yeah - saw that too - but then other functions seem to show them not in groups of three, not sure how they would do that if they were addressed as a group. Very cool - what's the pricing on these?
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2015 Halloween Show - Planning now - hopefully some house projection...
    2015 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x 6804, Ren48LSD, 3x RenSS16, 1x Falcon16v2 (w/expander), 24x90 WS2811 pixel MT (James MT Strips), 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budude View Post
    Yeah - saw that too - but then other functions seem to show them not in groups of three, not sure how they would do that if they were addressed as a group. Very cool - what's the pricing on these?

If these are anything like the Gemmy Lights that I hacked each bulb has a chip with a red, green and blue led on it so you have 3 channels per bulb which gives you 7 possible colors for example.

1, Red = Red ----Channel 1
    2, Green = Green ----Channel 2
    3, Blue = Blue ----Channel 3
    4, Red & Green = Yellow ----Channels 1 & 2
    5, Green & Blue = Light Blue ----Channels 2 & 3
    6, Red, Green & Blue = White ----Channels 1,2 & 3
    7, Red & Green = Purple ----Channels 1 & 3

It' kind of a pain to program in Vixen because your using 3 channels for 7 colors but it can be done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mactayl View Post
    It' kind of a pain to program in Vixen because your using 3 channels for 7 colors but it can be done.
    :confused: - that's how all RGB stuff is? The various floods/strips are all sequenced this way. I just regroup my channels in Vixen so all of a certain color are together.

Anyway - yeah - maybe a trip to Costco is in my future...
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2015 Halloween Show - Planning now - hopefully some house projection...
    2015 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x 6804, Ren48LSD, 3x RenSS16, 1x Falcon16v2 (w/expander), 24x90 WS2811 pixel MT (James MT Strips), 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budude View Post
    :confused: - that's how all RGB stuff is? The various floods/strips are all sequenced this way. I just regroup my channels in Vixen so all of a certain color are together.

Anyway - yeah - maybe a trip to Costco is in my future...
    Thanks for the regroup tip, it looks like it can save a bunch of time.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the hack is work in progress. Too complex for me. Take a look at this link. I learned something tonight.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-ha...terns-0122784/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mactayl View Post
    If these are anything like the Gemmy Lights that I hacked each bulb has a chip with a red, green and blue led on it so you have 3 channels per bulb which gives you 7 possible colors for example........
    I have a set of the Gemmy Lights that I once lost the remote for, but fortuniatly found later. How difficult or technical would it be to make the string usable with LOR or LSP?
    Last edited by DynamoBen; 01-23-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: added quote code

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerrymac View Post
    I have a set of the Gemmy Lights that I once lost the remote for, but fortuniatly found later. How difficult or technical would it be to make the string usable with LOR or LSP?
    Unknown - Some people indicated that these might have freerunning control within the nodes and the "data" line is more like a "sync/choose program" line. The issue is that no one with the correct debugging tools (oscilloscope and/or logic analyzer) seems to have any of these strands, and isn't likely to express interest in them since they're older/more limited. Get those two together and things can often be reverse engineered quite fast - look how fast the GE strands were REd.

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast