Thread: CO2 Jet

Post Thanks / Like

Default CO2 Jet

I am looking to do a CO2 jet/canon for an effect for a christmas float. The commercial systems are very expensive. I think this is partly since they all seem to come with DMX controls. I don't need DMX. I just need the gas solenoid for 12 or 120 volts and fittings. Looking at the basics though, there does not seem to be much to them. I have been trying to research solenoids for CO2. So far the the only thing I seem to see is that the valve bodies and connectors are stainless steel. And the tanks have to be a siphon tank since you want to release liquid, not gas for the effect to work correctly. Also the nozzle seems to play a part as well.

I have some budget for this. But not the $400 each the comercial products are asking for. I think I can do this, but I am having a hard time finding specs for a proper solenoid valve for the liquid CO2.

Anyone have any experience with the CO2 jets?
    Even Twitter has 140

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: CO2 Jet

You might pm lightman -- he has some experience with air cannons and your C02 jet may have some similarity.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

In building a T-Shirt Cannon, I came across a few Air Canon designs for Halloween effects.

http://www.hauntedyards.com/cannon1.html
    Creep Crafter Air Cannon
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]Dark Yard again for 2017 [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2] Still searching for more Time and Money[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="BLUE"][URL="https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyChristmas"]Display Facebook Page[/URL][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kychristmas View Post
    that is so cool, almost makes me want to do a Haunted House just to scare the willies out of people.
    [B][I]Matt[/I][/B]

You too can become a Supporting member of DIYC.
    Check it out [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/payments.php"]here[/URL]

I record my Blinky Flashy travels here: [URL="http://MyNoelLights.com"]MyNoelLights.com[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

The thing to keep in mind is the freezing of the valve. The valves are so expensive because the will freeze and still operate. You can have a problem on your hands if you get a cheap valve and it freezes on!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eswets View Post
    The thing to keep in mind is the freezing of the valve. The valves are so expensive because the will freeze and still operate. You can have a problem on your hands if you get a cheap valve and it freezes on!
    Correct. I am not building an air canon. I am making an effect like a CO2 fire extinguisher going off. But I need to electricly release the CO2. The effect requires a siphon tank to draw the liquified CO2. Liquid CO2 would quickly freeze and destroy a regular plastic body sprinkler valve like the type described in the projects above.
    Even Twitter has 140

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps figure out a way for an air/water cannon to provide the same visual effect?

Post Thanks / Like

Just a suggestion... In your searching, search for paintball cannon or paintball launcher, paintball missile, paintball rocket, etc... There are a lot of people making homemade items for paintball related things.. This may help you on your way. If I remember right, some of them were made with sprinkler valves, making it an easy on/off and could be controlled remotely. Also, you could get a co2 tank (large or small) from a welding shop(atleast that is where you get them here) with a diptube. The diptube pulls from the bottom of the tank(I think this is what you are looking for)... Otherwise, flip your tank upside down so the valve is on the bottom..

Would be neat to hear more about your project and how it comes along!
    -Jon
    [SIZE="3"][B]my List: (to do, done, ideas...)[/B][/SIZE]
    [LIST][*][SIZE="1"]Renard 24 SS - 5 built and running(2010), 5 to build for 2011[/SIZE][*][SIZE="1"]LED icicles all hacked into short 3-4' sections for chasing, mounted on pvc pipe. 18 channels of these[/SIZE][*][SIZE="1"]4 arches assembled and painted, 3 waiting for lights and 1 lit up! - now a 2011 project[/SIZE][*][SIZE="1"]2 - Renard24lv partially built(2011 project)[/SIZE][*][SIZE="1"]7 portaflood pcbs on hand, 1 enclosure on hand, 1200 LED's on hand(2011 project)[/SIZE][/LIST]

Post Thanks / Like

The term that you need to look for is a cryogenic solenoid valve.

Google Search

If you do end up making your own, consider positing a writeup with what you discovered.