Thread: Ren-C problem no led lite

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ren-C problem no led lite

Hi everyone,
    I need help with my Ren-c, first it worked last Christmas then was put away. I got it out for Halloween and here's the problem. It has no LED lights lite. I looked thru all the post and here's what I tried so far.

1. tested JP3 and do have 4.8 volts
    2. removed all IC's and applied power still no led's lite, still have power at JP3

Now I lost as what else to try.

Another note I do have 3 Ren-c's so took a different one and plugged into Grinch and it works fine, so I do know that the problem lies in this Ren-C, but just lost as to continuing to troubleshoot to figure out what is the problem. The only equipment I have is a voltage meter. I don't have a pic programer (orginal pic's came from WJohn).

Thanks in advace for help
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ren-C problem no led lite

Maybe check the RJ45 contacts to the Grinch for slight corrosion. Sounds like there's a physical contact problem. Sometimes you can find a pin or two inside the RJ45 jack that's bent or possibly even crossing another pin and shorting out.
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

Checked RJ45 contacts and they all look good, shouldn't at least the power lite on the Ren-c work due to the fact I show power on the JP3 pins on the Ren-c? Just a reminder this did work so I know that the leds are installed properly.

Thanks again
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Then I'd clean the underside of the board with alcohol and a q-tip, remove and reseat the chips, and reflash the PIC. If that doesn't solve it, I'd quickly reflow the solder joints.

If it were me and after trying all of those it still didn't work, I'd just replace the darned thing because of the time already wasted on it.
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RickeyS View Post
    Checked RJ45 contacts and they all look good, shouldn't at least the power lite on the Ren-c work due to the fact I show power on the JP3 pins on the Ren-c?
    Unfortunately the power LED is connected to the PIC, so if the PIC isn't functioning correctly then it won't apply the GND/LOW to allow the LED to lite.

So, reseat the PIC. Check the PIC pins and the socket to make sure a film of corrosion/oxidation didn't form while it was in storage. Then reflash the PIC.
    RavingLunatic
    Not just a username but a state of mind