Page 67 of 77 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 670 of 768

Thread: A DMX controller for multiple RGB pixel strings

  1. #661
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Avon Lake, OH
    Posts
    479
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A DMX controller for multiple RGB pixel strings

    Quote Originally Posted by budude View Post
    I received my 1809 pixel strings today and connected them up to the E680 using 12v on the bottom DC block (j1-9) and connecting the strips to J1. I configured them as follows:

    Cluster# Strings Chip Pixels Grp Str Len RGB DMX Address Range Reverse Zigs Null Pixels Refresh Gamma
    1 1 1804(S) 150 001 0150 BRG s1-001 thru s1-450 NNNN 0000 0-0-0-0 0055

    These show BRG on them so I configured them that way (this does not matter anyway for my issue).

    When I plug the strips in, all 150 pixels (5m string) go full on white - no matter what I do or run, they stay full on. I initially started with Vixen and switched to SACNView to generate/view the data and I can see the packets received on the E680 - but nothing... I tried another string to verify - same thing. This was working with my GE lights just fine. I also loaded the new eeprom image 2.020 but that made no difference. I also tried the test patterns - nothing... I then moved it to cluster #2 putting them on plug J5 - nothing...

    Any ideas here? These did not light up until I configured the pixel/string parameters and did a save 0 so it's not like a dead short or anything.
    Make sure you have enough amps powering the string. I am using a computer power supply, and it is plenty. Also, make sure the leads at the end of the roll are not touching. Mine came with the ends stripped, and were touching, and caused some weirnedd unitl I clipped the stripped leads off, and taped over them.

    Erik
    Give back to the site that has given so much, become a [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/payments.php"]supporting member[/URL].

  2. #662
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Avon Lake, OH
    Posts
    479
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A DMX controller for multiple RGB pixel strings

    Quote Originally Posted by scuba View Post
    Back from a long hiatus; Has anyone worked with the G-35's. As a start, I've got 200 pixels and a E680's. I want to control 4 strings of 50 pixels from a single E680. Has anyone used the controller that comes with the strings as power supplies for the strings? I was going to tie all the G-35 controller grd's together and separate the data lines and feed them to J1-J4. Any issues with this approach?
    Do you mean you are going to plug in the 4 bricks for the 4 strings? I would use a computer power supply. The 5v rail should be able to supply the amps needed for 4 strings, and power the board as well.

    Erik
    Give back to the site that has given so much, become a [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/payments.php"]supporting member[/URL].

  3. #663
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    47
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A DMX controller for multiple RGB pixel strings

    Regarding programming the eeprom, I have a Parallax Professional Development Board (PN 32111). It has an onboard 24LC256 eeprom and USB port. Instead of ordering a Prop Plug ($16 + $15 shipping!) can I simply pull out the 24LC256 and pop in the 24C1024 to program the eeprom with the new code? If so, would I use the Prop Tool normally to flash it?
    "A bunch of monkeys flipping light switches in time to the music"
    http://www.twinkleclaus.com

  4. #664
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    9,550
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A DMX controller for multiple RGB pixel strings

    When the strip turns on it's pulling 5.2A which sounds pretty high - they said 7.5W but this is 60+W? The bigger question is why they all turn on and stay on...
    Brian

    Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Video Projection - not much new this year...
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x6804, 4x Ren48LSD, 30x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline

    Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

  5. #665
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Murrieta, Ca
    Posts
    554
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A DMX controller for multiple RGB pixel strings

    Quote Originally Posted by scuba View Post
    Back from a long hiatus; Has anyone worked with the G-35's. As a start, I've got 200 pixels and a E680's. I want to control 4 strings of 50 pixels from a single E680. Has anyone used the controller that comes with the strings as power supplies for the strings? I was going to tie all the G-35 controller grd's together and separate the data lines and feed them to J1-J4. Any issues with this approach?
    My setup is similar. As long as they all share a common ground with the controller and the controller has adequate power, it should work fine.
    5 houses using:
    Renard 64, 3 Ren24's, Ren8
    4 E682 pixel controllers
    2,300 WS2801 pixel nodes
    1200 dumb RGB
    Sequenced using LSP 2.5

  6. #666
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A DMX controller for multiple RGB pixel strings

    Quote Originally Posted by budude View Post
    When the strip turns on it's pulling 5.2A which sounds pretty high - they said 7.5W but this is 60+W? The bigger question is why they all turn on and stay on...
    As someone else mentioned there are 2 type of 180x chips, fast and slow. The ones I have seen have all been the fast type. I set up the code for the slow version based on the data sheet but I haven't actually had any slow 180x's to test with. I would definitely try the 1804(F) type of you haven't already.

    Can you post a link to the pixels you have?
    The Sandevices E680/E681/E682 Pixel Controllers, part of the[SIZE="3"] [COLOR="red"]P[/COLOR][COLOR="orange"]I[/COLOR][COLOR="blue"]X[/color][COLOR="lime"]E[/COLOR][COLOR="magenta"]L[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"]P[/COLOR][COLOR="lime"]R[/COLOR][COLOR="blue"]O[/COLOR][COLOR="red"]J[/COLOR][COLOR="magenta"]E[/COLOR][COLOR="cyan"]C[/COLOR][COLOR="red"]T[/COLOR]
    [url]www.sandevices.com[/url][/SIZE] <-email jim at

  7. #667
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A DMX controller for multiple RGB pixel strings

    Quote Originally Posted by Twinkleclaus View Post
    Regarding programming the eeprom, I have a Parallax Professional Development Board (PN 32111). It has an onboard 24LC256 eeprom and USB port. Instead of ordering a Prop Plug ($16 + $15 shipping!) can I simply pull out the 24LC256 and pop in the 24C1024 to program the eeprom with the new code? If so, would I use the Prop Tool normally to flash it?
    That should work.
    The Sandevices E680/E681/E682 Pixel Controllers, part of the[SIZE="3"] [COLOR="red"]P[/COLOR][COLOR="orange"]I[/COLOR][COLOR="blue"]X[/color][COLOR="lime"]E[/COLOR][COLOR="magenta"]L[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"]P[/COLOR][COLOR="lime"]R[/COLOR][COLOR="blue"]O[/COLOR][COLOR="red"]J[/COLOR][COLOR="magenta"]E[/COLOR][COLOR="cyan"]C[/COLOR][COLOR="red"]T[/COLOR]
    [url]www.sandevices.com[/url][/SIZE] <-email jim at

  8. #668
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    9,550
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A DMX controller for multiple RGB pixel strings

    Quote Originally Posted by jstjohnz View Post
    As someone else mentioned there are 2 type of 180x chips, fast and slow. The ones I have seen have all been the fast type. I set up the code for the slow version based on the data sheet but I haven't actually had any slow 180x's to test with. I would definitely try the 1804(F) type of you haven't already.

    Can you post a link to the pixels you have?
    What is the code to enable 1804(F) chip?

    THESE are the ones I purchased - they are the same ones that erm213 are using and they are working OK for him - not sure which chip config he is using though.
    Brian

    Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Video Projection - not much new this year...
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x6804, 4x Ren48LSD, 30x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline

    Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

  9. #669
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lexington, NC
    Posts
    2,143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A DMX controller for multiple RGB pixel strings

    Brian,
    I would try CHip types 4, 5, or 6 setting in the E680 to enable the fast mode output to the 180x. I know somewhere in this thread, Jim posted that the 3001 chip type would be 8, but don't have my E680 hooked up at the moment to see which one.
    Mark
    On the move from Kernersville to Lexington, NC. Just getting moved in so small static display this year

  10. #670
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Avon Lake, OH
    Posts
    479
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: A DMX controller for multiple RGB pixel strings

    Quote Originally Posted by budude View Post
    What is the code to enable 1804(F) chip?

    THESE are the ones I purchased - they are the same ones that erm213 are using and they are working OK for him - not sure which chip config he is using though.
    I used chip #3. That is the same page I bought my strips from too.

    Erik
    Give back to the site that has given so much, become a [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/payments.php"]supporting member[/URL].

Page 67 of 77 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •