Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrapping Arches

Pearland, Tx (sometimes) and anywhere on the globe the rest of the time
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wrapping Arches

Okay,

I finally got around to trying to figure how EXACTLY how to wrap my arches. I have Wal-Mart 100ct mini's and when fully wrapped one layer thick, they take up 16" on my 10' 3/4 Schedule 40 Grey Conduit. This is too much as I will never get the others to fit.

I did this quite tight so that the wraps do not move. It seems like I am going to have to make about 10 double layer passes to get the lights to fit in a 12" span. Does this sound right? Do you wrap your lights tight?

Thanks,
    Chris
    WLC Ventures is now [URL="http://radiant-holidays.com"]Radiant Holidays![/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wrapping Arches

That sounds about like what I have. A 10' section of 3/4" Schedule 40 white PVC pipe is enough for 7 sections with about 3"-4" of space on each end.
    Last edited by ppohlman; 09-10-2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: included pipe size

Post Thanks / Like

I know the more channels the smoother the arches look but I chose to only use six channels per arch and cut the extra off. Using ren24's I could have 4 arches on each ren to make it easier to program and wire. I make the jumps smoother by fadding into and out of the next segment.

Post Thanks / Like

We use 1 1/4" pvc pipe and we get 8 chanels about 12'' long for each one. We also run the power wires inside the pipe and have them come out at the end where the controller sets.

Pearland, Tx (sometimes) and anywhere on the globe the rest of the time
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ppohlman View Post
    That sounds about like what I have. A 10' section of pipe is enough for 7 sections with about 3" of space on each end.
    Well, these are my small arches so that is what I am going to do as well. I want to add more than one color to these and that "extra" wrap will cause problems. Having a center section is best anyway and that leaves me the 8th channel for the splash.

Thanks,
    Chris
    WLC Ventures is now [URL="http://radiant-holidays.com"]Radiant Holidays![/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

I normally use 3/4" grey conduit for my 10' arches, and that produces a wrap of approx. 17" (7 sections ea. using WM 100ct mini's) . I had a specific need for one shorter arch, and tried 1" Black Poly Pipe (H/D also sells it by the foot for $.26/ft.). I ended up with sections that were approx. 11 1/2" long. I slid the sections over a piece of 1/2" EMT that I bent with a conduit bender, and it worked out great.

Post Thanks / Like

We use the same walmart 100ct minis. Each section of ours takes up 14" on 10' 3/4 Schedule 40 PVC. I'm not sure we could have wrapped it any tighter.
    Last edited by txag2008; 09-11-2010 at 03:42 AM.
    lightsofnazareth.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g2ktcf View Post
    Okay,

I finally got around to trying to figure how EXACTLY how to wrap my arches. I have Wal-Mart 100ct mini's and when fully wrapped one layer thick, they take up 16" on my 10' 3/4 Schedule 40 Grey Conduit. This is too much as I will never get the others to fit.

I did this quite tight so that the wraps do not move. It seems like I am going to have to make about 10 double layer passes to get the lights to fit in a 12" span. Does this sound right? Do you wrap your lights tight?

Thanks,
    Chris
    On 10' of pipe I only use 50 count strings. Of course my arches are at the front of the display and are plenty bright.
    HA, somebody else is putting up my lights this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I found on someone's site 18" for each string - i zip each end at 0 and 18", then wrap them up so the middle is zipped at the 9" mark, works pretty well and you only have to string out 12 feet instead of the whole 24!
    Barry

2010 - 88 channels
    2011 - 112 channels
    2012 - 136 channels
    2013 - 136 renard 16 string pixel tree at 25', 4 pixel arches

Post Thanks / Like

I am redoing my arches I had 50ct minis, it was ok but a bit thin so I am changing to 100ct per section, 6 sections. I did notice that if you wrap too tight you may pull the leads out of the bulbs, so I would say wrap tight but not too tight.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast