Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW - PropController Project

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: NEW - PropController Project

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBen View Post
    No worries everyone has to learn at some point, if it works its good code. Also the nice part if you post is folks like myself can improve upon it. If you want help on your device I would suggest a separate thread. If you are interested in me porting this to PropController PM me and I will give you my email, I will make the edits, and then post.

I'm not doing any more on the ethernet side until I get my ethernet boards out the the board house (next couple of weeks), and Halloween is over. After that its full steam ahead, hopefully others will jump on board with daughterboards.
    I still have a few things to wrap up, mainly accepting programmable parameters over the dmx port and saving them to eeprom. I am definitely intrigued by the dmx over ethernet, may have to play with that.

BTW, I created a new thread for this project.

Post Thanks / Like

I've finished up the schematic and most of the PCB artwork for the Ethernet version. I added the ENC28J60 to the design. At present you have two ethernet options, the ENC28J60 and the WizNet W5100 module.

The ENC28J60 is inexpensive but requires a software TCP stack to function, the current stack isn't very fully featured but could work well for some situations.
    http://harrisonpham.com/dp/proptcp

The WizNet module is a more expensive option but no stack is require, you just read/write to buffers. You can also have up to four ports open at a time. This is the fully feature option of the two.
    http://www.wiznet.co.kr/Sub_Modules/...te3=0&pid=1026 (This is what I will be developing with)
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

Boards and some parts showed up Monday so I populated the power supply portion of the board. After attaching the AC power supply it promptly fried my 3.3V regulator. As it turns out the 3.3V regulator I was using had a tab that was Vout instead of GND...whoops. I swapped it out for a different one and everything was good.

Tonight I soldered up the Propeller, crystal, and the bi-color status LED. I download some LED demo code and it lit right up...success!!!

I am waiting on some more parts but will continue to solder up what I have. Long story short so far so good!
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

Boards and some parts showed up Monday so I populated the power supply portion of the board. After attaching the AC power supply it promptly fried my 3.3V regulator. As it turns out the 3.3V regulator I was using had a tab that was Vout instead of GND...whoops. I swapped it out for a different one and everything was good.

Tonight I soldered up the Propeller, crystal, and the bi-color status LED. I download some LED demo code and it lit right up...success!!!

I am waiting on some more parts but will continue to solder up what I have. Long story short so far so good!
    I can relate to the regulator issue. I ordered 10 3.3 v regulators last week and later looked at the data sheet and realized that the pinout was different. I wasn't aware that there was more than 1 pinout for TO220 regulators. To cover both cases I added another pad to my PC layout so that it can accommodate either configuration.

Also note that on those 'oddball' regulators the tab isn't grounded, it's either Vin or Vout, forget which.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstjohnz View Post
    I can relate to the regulator issue. I ordered 10 3.3 v regulators last week and later looked at the data sheet and realized that the pinout was different. I wasn't aware that there was more than 1 pinout for TO220 regulators. To cover both cases I added another pad to my PC layout so that it can accommodate either configuration.

Also note that on those 'oddball' regulators the tab isn't grounded, it's either Vin or Vout, forget which.
    As we both found out it pays to read the datasheet. In my case when you get into the 1A and above 3.3 the tab is Vout and you need a mica insulator before you blot it to the copper pour connected to GND.

Post Thanks / Like

As we both found out it pays to read the datasheet. In my case when you get into the 1A and above 3.3 the tab is Vout and you need a mica insulator before you blot it to the copper pour connected to GND.
    I've gotten into the habit of mounting TO-220 regulators vertically so I don't have that issue. I think my regulator is overkill anyway, I'm looking at probably less than 150ma current draw for this board. Since the regulator mounts vertically and I don't have to worry about lining up with a PCB hole for the tab, what I did was add a 4th pad to the layout, so it goes IN-GND-OUT-IN, so I can accomodate either style of regulator by shifting it over 1 hole.

Question, what size (as in power rating) resistors are you using for the DMX terminators? It's seems like worst case scenario these would have to dissipate more than a watt. It seems like 1/2 W is pretty common but that's a pretty large (physically) resistor.

-jim-

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the TI datasheet for the SN75176, the differential output voltage |VOD2| is specified at 2.7 V with a 100R load. So power dissipation would be 61 mW, so a 1/8W resistor should be fine.
    /mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n1ist View Post
    Looking at the TI datasheet for the SN75176, the differential output voltage |VOD2| is specified at 2.7 V with a 100R load. So power dissipation would be 61 mW, so a 1/8W resistor should be fine.
    /mike
    Huh...what question are you answering?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstjohnz View Post
    Question, what size (as in power rating) resistors are you using for the DMX terminators? It's seems like worst case scenario these would have to dissipate more than a watt. It seems like 1/2 W is pretty common but that's a pretty large (physically) resistor.

-jim-
    This one...
    [COLOR=#000080][B][I]Brian[/I][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Christmas in San Jose! - [URL="http://www.christmasinsj.com"]WEB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ChristmasInSanJose"]FB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1W78s7liEQEE0ed7WSyLF7B6j3lBX43w"]VIDEOS[/URL]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#800080]Halloween in San Jose! - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Halloween-in-San-Jose/356280784428581?ref=tn_tnmn"]FB[/URL]
    [SIZE=1]2015 Halloween Show - Planning now - hopefully some house projection...
    2015 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x 6804, Ren48LSD, 3x RenSS16, 1x Falcon16v2 (w/expander), 24x90 WS2811 pixel MT (James MT Strips), 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline
    [/SIZE]
    [/COLOR][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000][I]Ignorance is Temporary [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]- [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000][I]Stupidity is Forever[/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]...[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][I][COLOR=#ff0000]
    [/COLOR][/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budude View Post
    This one...
    Ahh I missed that, thanks budude.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast