Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to do a mobile lighting system.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking to do a mobile lighting system.

New and learning as I go. I unable to use a computer so I need a standalone system. Does any one have any ideas?

This will be on a horse?

Thanks

Mort

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking to do a mobile lighting system.

Hmm, so you're looking to put some Christmas blinky flashy on a horse? With or without music?

You're going to need a decent amount of power for lights, and at that point a small computer (such as maybe a nettop) is probably going to be smaller than your battery pack. The Acer AspireRevo uses an external power brick, so could be fed DC power.

Pearland, Tx (sometimes) and anywhere on the globe the rest of the time
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SITTINGUPHIGH View Post
    New and learning as I go. I unable to use a computer so I need a standalone system. Does any one have any ideas?

This will be on a horse?

Thanks

Mort
    but, you can opt for a Helix...it is a standalone controller that does all of this without an active computer connection. You load the sequences and the music on an SD card. However, you still need power for the lights....
    WLC Ventures is now [URL="http://radiant-holidays.com"]Radiant Holidays![/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Remember, you are going to have to strictly stick with DC (or VERY low voltage AC).

Someone last year wanted to create a parade costume using a 12V to 110V inverter. They thought that it was somehow safer. Last time I checked, a few milliamps at 110V will kill you, and it doesn't matter if it's from an inverter or your socket.

I know there is no way I would want to be draped in 110V ;)
    -Mike
    [URL="http://www.LandoLights.com"]www.LandoLights.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.sequencecenter.com"]www.SequenceCenter.com[/URL] --> Vixen/LOR Sequences and More

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldcqr View Post
    Remember, you are going to have to strictly stick with DC (or VERY low voltage AC).

Someone last year wanted to create a parade costume using a 12V to 110V inverter. They thought that it was somehow safer. Last time I checked, a few milliamps at 110V will kill you, and it doesn't matter if it's from an inverter or your socket.

I know there is no way I would want to be draped in 110V ;)
    definately, you'll need to go completely with a DC solution if you need to be absolutely mobile. the battery for that could be large, depending on LED or Incandescent, number of lights, etc, how many lights are you looking to control?
    Check out what the [URL="http://www.extremelightingproducts.com/shop"]Extreme Lighting Products Shop[/URL] is selling!

Post Thanks / Like

look at your helix, then to my renard, then back at your helix, sadly, it's not my renard, try Old Spice body wash. where are you? I'm on a horse with your dc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bonuts View Post
    look at your helix, then to my renard, then back at your helix, sadly, it's not my renard, try Old Spice body wash. where are you? I'm on a horse with your dc.
    And how does this help?
    DIYC Links:
    [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php"]Christmas Wiki[/URL] | [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/addonchat.php"]Chat[/URL]

Ricky, Jrd

"With great power comes great electricity bill." - Unknown Electricity Consumer
    "Your significance in life is not what you do, but how and why you do something." - Unknown Minister
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"]2012
    City float for Parade of Lights with:
    Fm-02 + Wall Wart Tamer
    2 Ren4Flood + DIYCFlood + Ren-W in 500 Watt enclosure
    2 Simple Renard 32
    15 SSROZ
    2 24 Channel RBW LED Ropelight Midi Trees out of artificial Christmas trees.

<a href="#" onclick="return(showhide(this));">Click here to show/hide my past display details ...</a>
    <script language="javascript">function showhide(anc){ //
    // traverse forward from anchor to find hidable div:
    for(; ; ){ if(!anc.nextSibling) break; if(anc.nextSibling.nodeName == "DIV") break; anc = anc.nextSibling; }//
    var Y='block', N='none', det=anc.nextSibling; //
    //fall-back plan: use named div:
    if (!det) det=document.getElementById('details'); //
    //toggle visibility:
    det.style.display=(det.style.display!=N)?N:Y; //
    //prevent page refresh:
    return false;}</script><div id="details" style="display:none;">2011
    Renard 24 v3.3 100%
    FM-02 with antenna 100%
    16' 8 channel Multi-color + Clear Megatree 100%</div>[/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

why can't you use a computer? You are going to have to haul batteries anyway if you want to pull this off. You got saddle bags on the horse? A netbook is small and hardly weighs anything. Or... you can get really crazy. If you strip an old laptop out of the case, there is not really much there. I have done this to make a digital "picture frame" How many channels do you think you need for a horse?

You could also do something with an EFX-Tek processor and some SSR-4 boards. If no sound is needed, you could load and play a looping sequence. And you can even program it with Vixen.
    Even Twitter has 140

Pearland, Tx (sometimes) and anywhere on the globe the rest of the time
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jrd View Post
    And how does this help?
    I too am very confused....:confused::confused::confused:
    WLC Ventures is now [URL="http://radiant-holidays.com"]Radiant Holidays![/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

This is going to be in a parade. Not alot of room on a horse. Trying to save space. I have a wheel chair battery 12V 26 amps. I need at least 5 hours of lights on. I want to put lights to music. As far as how many channels I would think 8 to 12 at the most. Remember horses are in rough motion. The less the better trying to cut down on shorts. Can't use netbook it doesn't work with Vixen. I think your right about using DC. Electricity and horses gives you a rodeo. Although LEDS are DC.

Mort

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast