Thread: PVC for Arches

Post Thanks / Like

Default PVC for Arches

I was wondering I used sch20 for my arches, Did I mess up or do you think this will hold once it gets cold. I just do not want the thing to crack.

Thanks
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PVC for Arches

Where you're located, I think you'll be okay. It doesn't get super-cold there, like it does up here in Minnesota. That said, any plastic will tend to become less flexible when put in an environment where the temperature drops below freezing point.
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olingerjccj View Post
    I was wondering I used sch20 for my arches, Did I mess up or do you think this will hold once it gets cold. I just do not want the thing to crack.

Thanks
    John
    White SCH20 PVC will work, but what is better is the Gray PVC in the electrical department. Has a little more flex to it and it hard to break. The gray was made to bury and make wide curves, this way you did not have to use the 45 & 90 degree connector you have with the white.

Use the flared end on the gray to connect 2 pieces together, that way the diameter of the pipe is not much larger than the pipe, Using PCV connector are a pain to wrap right.

If you want to be able to take the pieces apart again, measure the depth of the flared joint and transfer that measurement to the end of the PVC pipe that you will insert into the flared end. Now take a hacksaw and cut a slot from the end of the inserted piece almost to the measured line, cut both walls. You only need the thickness of 2 hacksaw cuts to let the pipe slip easier into the flared end. No lubricant is needed.

Hope this helps.

Dennis
    Inventor of the "LED Keeper"

My Videos [URL="http://www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry"]www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Cool thanks, If the sch 20 gets me 2 years I am ok with that. If it gets in the teens here that is rare. So I guess I will stick with the white sch 20. I have 3 built that way. I have to build 5 more so I may use the gray electrical for the rest. Also does spray painting it black change anything since it will have more uv damage. I know basic questions but I just like to be sure makes me feel better.

Thanks
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Painting it black may show off the lights better, depending on how tightly you wound the lights around the pipe. If you didn't wind the lights around the pipe but just strung them along the pipe and fastened with zip ties, painting it black would probably help disguise the pipe a lot.
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Painting it black may show off the lights better, depending on how tightly you wound the lights around the pipe. If you didn't wind the lights around the pipe but just strung them along the pipe and fastened with zip ties, painting it black would probably help disguise the pipe a lot.
    I am wrapping the pipe well rewrapping, I did not like the look of 50ct minis so I am changing to 100ct. Thanks for the info. I feel better now.

Thanks
    John

Post Thanks / Like

If you're wrapping it tightly together you won't really see the pipe anyway, especially at night. If it were me I wouldn't bother painting it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olingerjccj View Post
    I am wrapping the pipe well rewrapping, I did not like the look of 50ct minis so I am changing to 100ct. Thanks for the info. I feel better now.

Thanks
    John
    John -

This will be the first year I'm doing arches as well, so I'm commenting from what I've read, not what I've done.

Are you folding the string of 100 in half first? They're basically two strings of 50 end-to-end. Fold it in half, so you're winding two sets of wires at the same time. That way if 1/2 a string of 100 goes out, it just looks less dense rather than a missing spot.

Something else to complicate your life; I've also read that some people are wrapping 1" PVC sections cut just long enough to hold 1 string, and using 1/2" or 3/4" PVC (conduit) as a frame to hold the 1" sections together. The comment I heard was that replacing a bad string is just a matter of sliding the bad section off, then sliding a replacement section on (you have to move the good sections out of the way first, of course.) They also say storage is much easier, as the 1" sections will fit inside bins, so they break fewer bulbs during storage time.

I just know I need to get to work on my arches so I'm not out there trying to build them in the almost-freezing weather we have around here at setup time.

Post Thanks / Like

John -

Something else to complicate your life; I've also read that some people are wrapping 1" PVC sections cut just long enough to hold 1 string, and using 1/2" or 3/4" PVC (conduit) as a frame to hold the 1" sections together. The comment I heard was that replacing a bad string is just a matter of sliding the bad section off, then sliding a replacement section on (you have to move the good sections out of the way first, of course.) They also say storage is much easier, as the 1" sections will fit inside bins, so they break fewer bulbs during storage time.
    I believe they are using Black Poly Pipe for the outer section, as it bends easier than PVC.............. around $23.99 for a 100' roll at Lowes or HD.