Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: DC SSR - Assembly questions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default DC SSR - Assembly questions

    Hi everyone,

    I am in the middle of assembling 32 DC SSR's. I've come to a road block and just wanted to clarify a couple of things as the instructions in the wiki are not real clear. I have the v1.1 boards but the picture in the wiki is the v1.0 board so I'm a bit confused about what to do.

    1. The 50volts 0.1uF capacitors on the picture in the wiki go into C1 but on my boards I have two places where it looks like they could go, either C1 or C2. Which one is it, or is it both?

    2. With the capacitors from question 1, they have two legs but there are three holes at C1 and C2 so which two holes do I put them in to?

    3. Do the 5V 100mA linear regulators go into U1 or U2? I'm guessing that it's U2 because the shape in the board matches the shape of the part itself, but when i tried to put it into U2, the holes were too close together for the actual part and so the legs were getting bent in towards each other quite a lot so I wasn't sure if it was right or not.

    thanks, fj
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    8,979
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DC SSR - Assembly questions

    This has come up before - see if this helps: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...st.php?p=76801

    I guess the Wiki never got updated...
    Brian

    Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Grave Crawler, 2x 3-axis skulls, 4x 1-axis skulls, Video Projection (more)
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 3x Ren48LSD, 32x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, PixaBulb House outline

    Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Murrays Beach, Australia
    Posts
    147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DC SSR - Assembly questions

    i havent started to build mine yet but if you go to the forum
    scroll down to SSR go to page six and find 'DCSSR Question' you might find the answer to you question. good luck

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DC SSR - Assembly questions

    Quote Originally Posted by fj View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I am in the middle of assembling 32 DC SSR's. I've come to a road block and just wanted to clarify a couple of things as the instructions in the wiki are not real clear. I have the v1.1 boards but the picture in the wiki is the v1.0 board so I'm a bit confused about what to do.

    1. The 50volts 0.1uF capacitors on the picture in the wiki go into C1 but on my boards I have two places where it looks like they could go, either C1 or C2. Which one is it, or is it both?
    I ended up putting one in c1 an c2
    Quote Originally Posted by fj View Post
    2. With the capacitors from question 1, they have two legs but there are three holes at C1 and C2 so which two holes do I put them in to?
    the outer holes was easer
    Quote Originally Posted by fj View Post
    3. Do the 5V 100mA linear regulators go into U1 or U2? I'm guessing that it's U2 because the shape in the board matches the shape of the part itself, but when i tried to put it into U2, the holes were too close together for the actual part and so the legs were getting bent in towards each other quite a lot so I wasn't sure if it was right or not.

    thanks, fj
    i put it in U1 just cause it went in easer, same direction as U2

    There's also a big difference if you got for a ver 1.5 board
    but i have the same ver 1.1 boards as you.

    the problem i see with ver 1.1 boards is that it gets supplyed 5v from the ren board then that 5v then goes into the regulators on the DCSSR boards
    i saw that ver 1.5 boards they have fixed this an they get the supply for the regulators from the main power feed into the dcssr.

    hope this helps.
    alec
    [SIZE=2][B][U]2014 Checklist:[/U][/B]
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=1][B]7x RGB Diyc Led floods[/B]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=1][B]2x [/B][B]RGB 9Ch Led Leaping Archs[/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][B]1x RGBW 12 strand Mega Tree 5m[/B]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=1][B]10x RGB CoroStars[/B][B]
    1x RGB Merry Christmas Sign[/B]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=1][B]2x RGB Coro VU Meters[/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][B]1.5m RGB Mega Star with led strobes[/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][B]10x Ledancer tubes in DMX
    [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][B]150x ACL Led Strobes
    3x RGB Coro flakes
    6x RGB Pixel Candy Canes
    8x RGB 1.5m Tint Tubes

    [URL]http://smartaleclights.com[/URL]
    [/B][/SIZE]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DC SSR - Assembly questions

    thanks for the help, that should sort things out.

    i found another thread after a bit of digging around that shows a good picture of the DC SSR constructed, hope it helps someone else out.

    http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...ead.php?t=6718

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DC SSR - Assembly questions

    The current version of the board is 1.1, not 1.5.

    The board was designed to take either a TO92 cased 78L05 or TO220 cased 7805. This was to give people choices.

    Same with C1 and C2. The three holes allow for a variety of cap lead spacings. Mono 0.1 uF caps I have come with lead spacing of .1, .2, .3 Adding the extra hole gives you the option to use what you have.

    The power feed for the regulator has always come from the DC load side. This is for galvanic isolation
    [B]John[/B]
    [url]www.xmasinmelb.com[/url] General Site
    [url]www.xmasinmelb.com/zencart/[/url] Online Store

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DC SSR - Assembly questions

    Still wondering if you have to put caps in both C1 and C2.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DC SSR - Assembly questions

    Quote Originally Posted by plasmata View Post
    Still wondering if you have to put caps in both C1 and C2.
    Hi,

    by the datasheet for the regulator, there should be a 0.33uF cap on the input to the 78L05. (thats C2 on the overlay). The function of C2 is to stop the Reg from oscillating. Depending on the manufacturer, the value can be in the range of .1 uF upwards. Again, depending on the manufacturer's datasheet, C1 may be included as well.

    In summary, C2 'should' be included, C1 'may' be included on the board.

    I am just updating my web pages at the moment,

    http://www.xmasinmelb.com/dcssr/

    and have the link to the Mouser BOM, and the details of C1 and C2 listed. Then I'll go back and redo the WIKI
    [B]John[/B]
    [url]www.xmasinmelb.com[/url] General Site
    [url]www.xmasinmelb.com/zencart/[/url] Online Store

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DC SSR - Assembly questions

    would it make too much of a differance if i used the .1uf for both c1 an c2?
    or would it be best to replace c2 with a .33uf ?
    thanks alec

    Quote Originally Posted by wjohn View Post
    Hi,

    by the datasheet for the regulator, there should be a 0.33uF cap on the input to the 78L05. (thats C2 on the overlay). The function of C2 is to stop the Reg from oscillating. Depending on the manufacturer, the value can be in the range of .1 uF upwards. Again, depending on the manufacturer's datasheet, C1 may be included as well.

    In summary, C2 'should' be included, C1 'may' be included on the board.

    I am just updating my web pages at the moment,

    http://www.xmasinmelb.com/dcssr/

    and have the link to the Mouser BOM, and the details of C1 and C2 listed. Then I'll go back and redo the WIKI
    [SIZE=2][B][U]2014 Checklist:[/U][/B]
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=1][B]7x RGB Diyc Led floods[/B]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=1][B]2x [/B][B]RGB 9Ch Led Leaping Archs[/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][B]1x RGBW 12 strand Mega Tree 5m[/B]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=1][B]10x RGB CoroStars[/B][B]
    1x RGB Merry Christmas Sign[/B]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=1][B]2x RGB Coro VU Meters[/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][B]1.5m RGB Mega Star with led strobes[/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][B]10x Ledancer tubes in DMX
    [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][B]150x ACL Led Strobes
    3x RGB Coro flakes
    6x RGB Pixel Candy Canes
    8x RGB 1.5m Tint Tubes

    [URL]http://smartaleclights.com[/URL]
    [/B][/SIZE]

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DC SSR - Assembly questions

    you can use just a 0.1uF for C2, or 2 x 0.1 uF for C1/2 or most other options. The 78L05 is fairly stable, and the cap is there 'just to be sure'. If you dont have a 0.33uF, you can use a small electro as well, just make sure the operating voltage is OK for the DC supply (30 V for 24 VDC operating range).
    [B]John[/B]
    [url]www.xmasinmelb.com[/url] General Site
    [url]www.xmasinmelb.com/zencart/[/url] Online Store

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •