Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DC SSR - Assembly questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DC SSR - Assembly questions

Thanks for the detailed response John and also for the wiki update.

Post Thanks / Like

you can use just a 0.1uF for C2, or 2 x 0.1 uF for C1/2 or most other options. The 78L05 is fairly stable, and the cap is there 'just to be sure'. If you dont have a 0.33uF, you can use a small electro as well, just make sure the operating voltage is OK for the DC supply (30 V for 24 VDC operating range).
    [B]John[/B]
    [url]www.xmasinmelb.com[/url] General Site
    [url]www.xmasinmelb.com/zencart/[/url] Online Store

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

This may well seem like a no-brainer to many, but electronics are not my speciality. Can I use the dcssr discussed in this thread and have it controlled by a renard ss16. I know the controller is ac and the ssr is dc?
    If so where can I get the boards for the dcssr. If not can you point me in the direction that I need to go.

thanks in advance

bert-nc

Post Thanks / Like

An SS16 has all the electronics/triacs for running lights directly and you can't really use an SSR from a properly completed SS16. You need either a Ren64, a RenLV, or budude's Ren48LSD to run it. You could also use LabRat's simple Renard16. But any controller that has triacs built right onto it is not going to be a good choice for controlling a DC SSR, or an AC SSR for that matter.
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    An SS16 has all the electronics/triacs for running lights directly and you can't really use an SSR from a properly completed SS16. You need either a Ren64, a RenLV, or budude's Ren48LSD to run it. You could also use LabRat's simple Renard16. But any controller that has triacs built right onto it is not going to be a good choice for controlling a DC SSR, or an AC SSR for that matter.
    Just a disclaimer, that it isn't "my" simpleRen16... I just tweaked the layout to make it a bit more "home etch" friendly. The original files are in the "File Library" under Scorpia's Simple REN16
    Standard Disclaimers apply:
    "Product may not appear as shown, your mileage may vary, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on television, these are not the droids you seek"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Just a disclaimer, that it isn't "my" simpleRen16... I just tweaked the layout to make it a bit more "home etch" friendly. The original files are in the "File Library" under Scorpia's Simple REN16
    Also - there is a "New and Improved" version they are working on which may do what you want as well - http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...ead.php?t=7193

Go near the end of the thread for a description of the new version of the "Simple"...
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Grave Crawler, 2x 3-axis skulls, 4x 1-axis skulls, Video Projection (more)
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 3x Ren48LSD, 32x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

I understand what you are saying. After reading your reply and I realize that will not work. However, what I think I need to know is if I can run my cable from computer to renard ss16, and then out from the ss16 to the dc ssr. so I would not be running the ssr from the renard ss 16, just allowing commands from the computer running vixen to pass thru the renard sss16 to the dcssr. Does that make sense:?: I am trying to run leds, and program them with the rest of the display, and renard ss16's is what I have.

bert-nc
    Last edited by bert-nc; 08-03-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

No you can't.

Consider things this way. There are two major components to make the blinky work. The Controller.. and the SSR. The board you have now has both of them integrated into ONE BOARD. In order to make a DCSSR (or an ACSSR) work, you must have a controller that will turn it on/off.

So.. from your EXISTING REN16 you would run a cable (serial) to another controller (eg. The "SIMPLEREN16"). *THAT* controller would then have a cable that runs off to the individual SSR board(s) (upto 16 of them).

Did that help? Or just muddy the waters?
    Standard Disclaimers apply:
    "Product may not appear as shown, your mileage may vary, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on television, these are not the droids you seek"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    No you can't.

Consider things this way. There are two major components to make the blinky work. The Controller.. and the SSR. The board you have now has both of them integrated into ONE BOARD. In order to make a DCSSR (or an ACSSR) work, you must have a controller that will turn it on/off.

So.. from your EXISTING REN16 you would run a cable (serial) to another controller (eg. The "SIMPLEREN16"). *THAT* controller would then have a cable that runs off to the individual SSR board(s) (upto 16 of them).

Did that help? Or just muddy the waters?
    not the answer I was hoping for, but I do understand what you are saying.

thanks for the help

bert-nc

Post Thanks / Like

Bert,

the DCSSR does need a controller to tell it what to do.

The REN16SS or the REN16 are integrated controllers (aka they have a controller and SSR all on one board). While this makes it a simple board to deploy, it lock you into AC 110 V or something like that.

The DCSSR and SSRez were designed to work with any controller that did not have integrated SSRs. Examples of this are the GRINCH, REN64 and many others.

It was all about choice. individual SSRs (such as the DCSSR and the AC SSRez) let you mix and match on the same controller.

Hope that helps
    [B]John[/B]
    [url]www.xmasinmelb.com[/url] General Site
    [url]www.xmasinmelb.com/zencart/[/url] Online Store

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast