Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make mini trees

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to make mini trees

I've posted a tutorial on how to make mini trees on my website. Basically, you take a tomato cage and wrap chicken wire around it and then wrap the Christmas lights on to the chicken wire.

Post Thanks / Like

Anarchtica - it would be really nice to create a wiki for this!

The chicken wire gives a very nice form - I've been doing it this way for 4/5 years now.

Post Thanks / Like

I created 6 tress this year using the cages. Each one as 4 colors on it, RED, BLUE, GREEN and WHITE. All outputs on the 4 channel SSR are hooked up to the tree. The small tree has 150 blub light stings x4 colors for 600 lights. The large tree has 300 blub light strings x4 colors for 1200 lights. The strings are hooked directly to the SSR and all soldered together end to end. The outlets and plugs were removed.

I hadn't considered using chicken wire. Good idea. To late for me now, the work is done. They came out nice however.

Thanks
    ms
    Matt Stemple

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had wrapped my mini trees in separate colors to get that effect. But I kinda ran out of channels to facilitate that. 64 channels for my mega tree and 12 for my mini trees leaves me with 24 out of 100 to use.

p.s. Stempile, from that music, do you happen to listen to the 1 up show podcast?

Post Thanks / Like

The music is stock iLife '08 - iMovie. There are several different variations of that at different lengths. I have read stories on 1up but have not followed the podcasts.

ms
    Matt Stemple

Post Thanks / Like

you know I might have to stop visiting this forum. My after christmas "need to buy list" is getting too long and my house is going to dim the lights in my neighboor hood

Deffinitally making some of these!

Ben
    128 lynx Freestyle DMX channels(not all used), 4 SSR4 DMX channels, 120 Ren24 channels, and 48 Ren16 channels!!

Post Thanks / Like

anyone know who carries yellow minilights?

i made one of these and my wife liked it, so i'm looking to make more. i'm going to try to bend a wire hanger in the shape of a star to put on top and am in need of yellow or gold lights to outline it with.

Post Thanks / Like

Lowes.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Floral easels from the hobby stores for my mini trees. They are powdered coated and cost around 2.50 each. They have lasted for 5 years without any problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teberle
    Lowes.
    thanks. stopped there this afternoon to return something and found them while i was there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast