Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ren-C issues

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ren-C issues

Yes it does but I have only ever ran just the ren-c on the comm port. I have never daisy chained them to other controllers.

The flashing HB indicates your ZC is working. RX lit means you have data from your comm port.
    Last edited by RichF; 03-22-2010 at 06:32 PM.
    More channels then I can use.
    More light bulbs then I care count.
    [url]http://www.vimeo.com/user1106747/videos[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

I am not daisy-chaining, at least not yet. I figured I would keep my problems smaller if I just try to get the Ren-C working with the 595 before making things more complicated,,

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeleg1969 View Post
    Yes, and the computer works fine with my Ren64 card using the same parameters, so that means the port is good and the parameters are correct. Now, that I have gotten this far, I am using the Renard 64 plug-in to feed the Ren-C board. Is that correct? Maybe that is where I have missed the boat, so to speak...(of course, my ZC reference is also attached to the input). The heartbeat is flashing and the RX data Led illuminates with the presence of data from Vixen.

It is my understanding, maybe incorrectly, that the Ren-C basically converts the 595 to a Ren-64..

Thanks again Rich..

Jerry
    Are you using the "Renard Dimmer (modified)" plugin with it set to 64 channels or some other special "Renard 64 plugin"? I use a Ren-C/595 setup and the standard renard dimmer (modified) works perfectly.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dirk,
    Thanks for any assistance. I am using the "Renard Dimmer (modified)" plug-in. The same one I use for the Ren 64 board. Tuesday I am going to break out the o-scope and do some probing around.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry,
    FWIW, I just provide the data via RS485 to the Ren-C's RSIN jack, and the ZC is provided externally via the header pins next to the Q1 transistor.

Early on I had trouble with the Ren-C as well until I got a decent ZC. I don't use a Ren-T but prefer to power the 595 via a standard PC power supply, and of course, the Ren-C gets its power from the 595 board. But if you're getting a blinking heartbeat, I'd think that you have a decent ZC signal. I suppose it's possible that the chip needs reprogramming. I vaguely recall that the best version of the firmware that worked for me was the 20090506 version. The 2007 version didn't do the job. 0506 was "and experimental" version that Phil modified to fix a 50hz flickering problem, but it seemed to solve other issues, too. It's never failed for me. 0506 is in one of the forums somewhere as I recall...

-dave

The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Dirk,
    Perhaps you can answer a question for me about Pics. As I have very little experience with them I have wondered if they can be "re-flashed" or are they only good for programming one time only. I have a lab quality power supply feeding the 595 and, of course, the Ren-C is fed through the RJ45. After doing a little looking around, I think I will check to see if I am getting the clock, strobe, and data pulses from the Ren-C. Thanks again..

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

I think you can reflash them up to about 1000 times, so you should be fine. I had some pics pre-flashed for me the first time I purchased a couple Ren-C boards, but something happened to the firmware during the trip and they proved to be garbled. So I bought a programmer, got the code and did it myself. It's a piece of cake to do.

Post Thanks / Like

I still have the Ren-c beta code that worked well for me in a .hex format I can post somewhere if you need it.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Ren-C issues

Rich, Dirk,
    Thanks for your help. As mentioned earlier, I have a pic programmer on the way. It should be here in the next few days. Delivery from Hong Kong has gotten better. One way or another, I will figure this out. The Ren-C board itself is just too simple. I better hurry though, I've only got 8 months left and time is going fast...

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

I know I am not close to you but I do still have one PIC for the Ren-c and if needed I may be able to help you out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast