Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vixen 3.0?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vixen 3.0?

I don't want to sound pushy but is anybody working on the new version? The last I heard, it was going to be a complete rewrite. It's now mid March and we've probably already lost a lot of beta testers.

There's been no activity over on Bugzilla in quite awhile.
    A mediocre person tells. A good person explains. A superior person demonstrates. A great person inspires others to see for themselves.

Click here to show/hide my display details ...
    Click here to show/hide DIYC Links ...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3.0?

I wouldn't blame KC one bit for holding off with a new version for quite some time. 2.5 was clearly beta (or possibly late alpha) code and those who downloaded it started to try to use it in production instead of as a test only, some started development on new plugins and/or add-ons, and the poor guy wound up spinning his wheels trying to patch things that were unpatchable -- especially given that a lot of it probably had to do with the Vista environment that even Microsoft has decided was unfixable since they replaced it with Win7 so quickly.

Very few computer users actually have the wherewithall to properly test code other than citing "it didn't work." Few document their OS environment, sanitize a computer so that the test bed is pure and then document the procedures used so as to be able to deliberately cause a reproduceable result.

All in all, I wouldn't be surprized if 2010 goes by without Vixen 3.0 making an appearance. I think KC knows what we think about his software and that we all are tremendously appreciative and thankful for his efforts. I believe he's still reeling a bit from the 2.5 experience.

And while I'd vote for giving him all the time he needs, I certainly echo your anxiousness, Ernie!
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Very few computer users actually have the wherewithall to properly test code other than citing "it didn't work." Few document their OS environment, sanitize a computer so that the test bed is pure and then document the procedures used so as to be able to deliberately cause a reproduceable result.
    Well I guess its a good that ppl like me are around, I'm a software tester and offer my services for free to KC and Vixen. ;)

Honestly the key in the next release will be logging. This allows users work with the software any way they want and as errors occur KC (and others) can see what they did and find root cause.

All in all, I wouldn't be surprized if 2010 goes by without Vixen 3.0 making an appearance. I think KC knows what we think about his software and that we all are tremendously appreciative and thankful for his efforts. I believe he's still reeling a bit from the 2.5 experience.
    I tend to agree that in 2010 you won't see a 3.0 release. With that being said KC and I have talked about some interesting things over the last year that will/could be cool. In the end its really about him finding the time to sit down and work through his ideas in code. Starting over is not a trivial task, and personally I would rather it take a while and be done well then quickly rushing through it and its buggy.
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

And i guess if you dont' like it.. Go and build your own system.. Will Ruldoph 1.0, Prancer 1.1, Dasher 1.2 be out any faster?
    [B][FONT=Arial]stell[COLOR="#FF0000"]a[/COLOR][COLOR="#008000"]s[/COLOR][COLOR="#0000CD"]c[/COLOR]apes[/FONT][/B] - LED lighting solutions for the Prosumer, Commercial and Entertainment Industries.
    Doing pixels first since 2009 with [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAt6A98lXQw"]just another megatree.[/URL]
    Follow us on Facebook at [url]www.facebook.com/stellascapes[/url]
    web: [url]www.stellascapes.com[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

i'm just glad things are being discussed. hopefully, you all will try to turn kc from the dark side. vixen is about the last thing requiring windows machines still exist at my house.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh this is like all other development threads, "whens it going to be done." The reply always is "it will be done when it will be done."
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

Last time i talked to KC he was working on the overhaul. He has limited time and access to a computer and internet again. There was no time frame mentioned, but KC always seems to pull the rabbit out of the hat.

Post Thanks / Like

Although dated as a movie everyone should watch "The Agony and the Ecstasy" (1965)

Michelangelo is painting the Sistine Chapel and the Pope is always asking:

Pope Julius II: When will you make an end?
    Michelangelo: When I am finished!

Great work KC! You'll be done when you'll be done. I know shareware never really made it big but if a $10 contribution from everyone would help i'll line up.

-Ed

Post Thanks / Like

My asking was in no way meant to imply ‘When is Vixen going to be done?”. Quite frankly I doubt that Vixen will ever be done. KC sounds like a typical Engineer that’s never quite satisfied no matter how great something is, it can be better. Believe me I know the feeling.

I was just asking incase it was being worked on. I want to be included in the early stages of testing when it’s not ready for prime time.

I want Vixen to be great too! Every bug I found, I figured a way to repeat it so it was easily traced and fixed. Every UI feature that I asked for was included and most are using them today.

I wholly agree that a total re-write will probably not be released this year and that every beta tester better have a backup plan. I know that alpha or beta software could likely crash, delete my data or eat my computer. Due to a bug in an early beta of Vixen 1, I forever lost my very first sequence.

The UI needs to be solid before we move on. Dimming curves and DMX enhancements in 2.5 were being worked on before the UI was fully tested so it was difficult to see where the problem was.

Everyone around me knows that I’m heavily into this DIY stuff. I talk about it year round. When I say ‘We’ most people now know that I mean the DIY crowd.8-)
    A mediocre person tells. A good person explains. A superior person demonstrates. A great person inspires others to see for themselves.

Click here to show/hide my display details ...
    Click here to show/hide DIYC Links ...

Post Thanks / Like

I am running 2.5.0.8 and I love it. I know others had problems, and I may in the future, but for now it is all the "Gecko" said it would be.

Thanks KC.
    Bob Keyes
    2009 (first year)-64 Channels, 8,000 lights
    2010-280 Channels, 40,000 lights
    2011-496 Channels, 75,000 lights in the neighborhood
    2012-9312 Ren, 1080 RGB. 185,000 lights in neighborhood
    A mate that just keeps rolling her eyes
    [img]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/280/280.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast