Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Attatching Mini Trees To a Pitched Roof

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Attatching Mini Trees To a Pitched Roof

Someone here recently had pictures of mini trees mounted to a pvc frame to sit on the front porch. Sorry, can't remember who it was... I think something like that might work though, if you weighted it down with sandbags, or used pipe straps to hold it to the eaves.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a good way to mount them be to create a wooden A-Frame using 2x4s. Then drill holes for the center poles at the same angle as your roof. Then you can simply hang the A-Frame from the Ridge. If you want to avoid fasteners completely, then you could simply use counter weight to go over the backside of the roof.
    Not looking good to get my 6th Seasonal Display up, but I'm trying!

www.ChristmasInKentucky.com[/SIZE][/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Someone on PC had a Mega-tree on the roof, so Mini-tree's can't be too hard.

BTW: I thought about doing this also. I have a two-story with a partial first-story roof and I figured these could go on the front edge. I only rap one string so you can see through them.

Seems too me that regular shingle clips should hold these but maybe something else needs to be made. I've been using the two foot tomato cages and they seem pretty light and since I don't load them up with a lot of lights, the wind should flow right through.
    A mediocre person tells. A good person explains. A superior person demonstrates. A great person inspires others to see for themselves.

Click here to show/hide my display details ...
    Click here to show/hide DIYC Links ...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi;
    I guess the reindeer in a tree begs the question:

"Who goosed the moose--eerrr--reindeer?"
    Idun

Lotsa' Patience! (Some days you can't win, the others you lose, and forget about the rest)

Some mornings I wake up GRUMPY and other days I let her sleep!

Post Thanks / Like

kychristmas- The counter-weight is a really good idea.. Although I would obviously like a simpler idea if anyone has one, that will definitely work if all else fails, thanks!

Ernie, on a side related question, on the 2 foot tomato cage, how many lights do you put on it? just 1 100ct strand or multiple?

Post Thanks / Like

I use just a single 100ct mini strand. I still use the ones that I made four years ago, same strings too. I’ve asked several people about the brightness and got the same answer that they were bright enough. The all immediately comment that they like the fact that you can see through them. That was my initial intent.

I’ll upload a picture later when I’m home so you can see how they compare with the rest of the display.
    A mediocre person tells. A good person explains. A superior person demonstrates. A great person inspires others to see for themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I have made for attaching things to the roof.

It goes back under the tile above it and is held in place by a nail or screw the tile fixing hole.

Jon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Video files on You Tube [url]http://au.youtube.com/user/JabiruLights[/url] plus static photos in the album section of this forum [url]http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/album.php?u=287[/url]

The 2012 Show is up and running.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieHorning View Post
    Iíll upload a picture later when Iím home so you can see how they compare with the rest of the display.
    Sorry that I couldn't post this sooner. For whatever reason, I can't get to DoItYourselfChristmas.com from home. I ran a trace route search and my connection runs down to a server in Texas and stops. I have no idea how to re-route my connection like they do in the movies, or even if it's actually possible. I have no problem getting anywhere else on the internet. I was kind of bummed over the weekend with out my DIY fix.

Here's a picture of my mini trees in comparison with other strings of mini lights.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Ernie!
    Back to the question at hand, angle the base of the minitrees to match the roof to start. Then attach them to thin plywood with a frame that goes over the peak with sand bags to hold it down.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpb View Post
    This is what I have made for attaching things to the roof.

It goes back under the tile above it and is held in place by a nail or screw the tile fixing hole.

Jon
    I know this thread is old, but for future reference to others

Xmas11---Roof-Santa-Sleigh-Support-Diagram.gif
    Xmas11---Roof-Santa-Sleigh-Support-Pic.jpg

These are from marquisite at auschristmaslighting.com. I also needed a way to secure displays to a roof. Good luck to all who read.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast