Thread: Breaking up these icicle lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Breaking up these icicle lights

Wondering if anyone might be able to help me with breaking up these lights... With my little knowledge, it would show that they could be broken up into 3 individual sets(because of the 3 knobby things), what do you think? Is it possible? I think that I have listed where each wire is leading to for the most part.. If you have any questions about a wire or anything, please let me know and I will answer. Please see the attached jpg.

These are 100 count LED icicles by GE. Connect up to 25 sets end-to-end 10.8ft lighted length.

Specifications:
    LEDs:100
    Total Set Wattage: 6.48 watts
    Strand Spacing: 5in between strands
    Number of strands: 27
    Lighted Length: 10.8ft
    Maximum Connected Same GE LED Sets: 25 end-to-end
    Plug System: double end: add-on plus end connector
    Fusing System: fused plug
    Spare Parts included: 2 steady burning LEDs, (2) 3-amp fuses

Last edited by jonedwste; 01-25-2010 at 02:33 AM.
    [SIZE="3"][B]my List: (to do, done, ideas...)[/B][/SIZE]
    [LIST][*][SIZE="1"]Renard 24 SS - 5 built and running(2010), 5 to build for 2011[/SIZE][*][SIZE="1"]LED icicles all hacked into short 3-4' sections for chasing, mounted on pvc pipe. 18 channels of these[/SIZE][*][SIZE="1"]4 arches assembled and painted, 3 waiting for lights and 1 lit up! - now a 2011 project[/SIZE][*][SIZE="1"]2 - Renard24lv partially built(2011 project)[/SIZE][*][SIZE="1"]7 portaflood pcbs on hand, 1 enclosure on hand, 1200 LED's on hand(2011 project)[/SIZE][/LIST]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Breaking up these icicle lights

First thing: are these Full-Wave or Half-Wave sets? (if Full-Wave, you probably can't
    split up the set)...

Alittle info first

The Full-Wave GE sets i own have oversized non-stackable plugs...because thats where
    they put the diode-bridge parts to make it Full-Wave (and resistors too)...so they also have
    no 'plastic glob-thingies'

I also have some Half-Wave GE's (which have normal stackable plugs) these have 'globs'
    (just a resistor) on the wires

My Ge sets are not icicle tho
    ---------------------------------------------
    Ok so assuming your lights are Half-Wave, look along the main (top) wire there should
    be 3 wires along most of the set, but at (probably 2) spots there should just 2 wires.
    Its alittle hard to tell from the images, but it looks like that is the case...you should
    be able to cut the 2-wire-spot and add new male/female plugs to make individual sets
    (look over it closly, just make sure each set has a 'glob' (resistor))

I can't say for sure that it'll work
    24 Ch/486dx 33mhz PC