Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How's YOUR setup going?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How's YOUR setup going?

Well, my week of "vacation" is about over. I am going to have to go back to work to get some rest. Maybe 192 channels for the first year was a bit much, but I am about 2/3rds the way done with the setup. My hands are raw and my back is about toast. I have about 20 strands left to put on the house and yard the big santa and sleigh picture my daughter painted, and then the Mega Tree is all. Being afraid of heights didn't help when I had 32 strands and a spin star to put 40 feet up in a tree! I ended up calling a friend to help. I have been doing all of this mainly by myself, a little help from my son and brother. Every so many channels I hook up I go through a test to make sure everything is hooked up right and working. So far I have only come across 1 SSR board that didn't work. Fuse is good but it just doesnt fire. So far I have gone through about 2500 feet of wire for the power and cat 5 and several rolls of black tape. I have a rats nest of wires al over the place, how do you guys hide these or make them look nice? I better get back at it, Saturday is booked with helping my sister move so I won't be able to work on it then...
    GOOD LUCK everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Well... I... uh... I ordered my circuit boards.

And I have 2 minutes of sequencing done.
    There sure as hell *are* user-serviceable parts inside!

Post Thanks / Like

Im just about ready. Today I put out my mini trees and hooked them up. I have the lights on my house and my megatree up. I still need to setup my 12 ch Happy Holidays sign and test it. After that, it's time to run the program and see how everything looks. Im sure I'll have to modify my sequences a little once everything is setup but.... it's almost done.

Some setup pictures are here www.woodmerechristmas.com

Only 64 ch this year.
    There's lots to think about but nothing to worry about.....until your lights go out!
    [url]http://www.woodmerechristmas.com[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

EDIT Nov 10th 5PM

man, I thought I was crazy for starting to put stuff out Sept 22nd, but honestly I can't imagine what would have happened if I started any later.

27 candy canes are modified, controllers are in place, I have the spt1 plugs, just need to make the cords.

30 channel mega tree is working....

19 strobes (C9) arrived, the sockets have arrived.
    7 have been deployed.

24 snow flakes (spt1 with a single clear c7 bulb at the end high in a tree) have been deployed.

All the 4 color roof chaser lights are working, w/ 10 clear channels on the roof as well.

12 Mini trees were deployed in Sept

2 songs are 100% done being sequenced... 2 more to go.
    Selecting music is one of the hardest parts to me.

We are out of town for thanksgiving, so I can sequence on my laptop while traveling.... lights go on Sunday Nov 25th at my place.

Spent a couple hours at the library and harvested dozens of good songs. (and TONS of garbage).

The ONLY thing left to do is make 30 extension cords for the candy canes and sequence another song or two.

getting there....

Post Thanks / Like

I have not started yet!
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How's YOUR setup going?

Quote Originally Posted by biffklg
    So far I have gone through about 2500 feet of wire for the power and cat 5 and several rolls of black tape. I have a rats nest of wires al over the place, how do you guys hide these or make them look nice?
    I picked up a box of "Commercial Grade - Fabric & Garden Staples" 75 staples per box, cost is $10 at HD. These staples are about 2.5" wide, and 4" long. You press them in with your foot, over the wires, to keep things neat.

My kids are constantly playing in the yard, and it prevents stuff from getting broken/disconnected, and also, wires tend to curl up, and you can see them kind of swelling up here and there, with these, you just nail the wires to the grass, and they then are invisible from the street.

Also, I tend to cut my wires a bit longer than needed (just in case) i just make a little coil, and nail the coil down in 2 or 3 spots.... looks nicer that way.

Hope that helps

Post Thanks / Like

[quote="xmus"]
    Quote Originally Posted by biffklg
    So far I have gone through about 2500 feet of wire for the power and cat 5 and several rolls of black tape. I have a rats nest of wires al over the place, how do you guys hide these or make them look nice?
    I do something similar. Grab some old wire coathanger and cut the hanger off and cut them again at the centre of the base. you will end up with two 60 deg bent wires. Bend them by hand until they look like a staple.

Cheap, and coathangers grow in our house.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wjohn
    coathangers grow in our house.
    There was a time when we had metal coat hangers coming out of our ears maybe 10 years ago, but I've been gobbling them up for projects for so long, I don't think we have a single one left.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xmus
    Quote Originally Posted by wjohn
    coathangers grow in our house.
    There was a time when we had metal coat hangers coming out of our ears maybe 10 years ago, but I've been gobbling them up for projects for so long, I don't think we have a single one left.....
    If there is a thrift store in your area they tend to get overloaded with wire hangers. Drop by and ask if you can have some. Give them a couple dollars for a sack full. There are many uses for coathangers but I like the idea of sod stakes (or garden staples or whatever they are) for holding down wires. They are a little stiffer than coat hanger wire and the ends are sharp so they will go into the ground easier.

TED

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TED
    They are a little stiffer
    They definitely are, I'm cutting them in half, and using each half to make "s hooks" to hang single C7 sockets from branches. They are much stiffer than a coat hanger.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast