Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: DIY Snow Machine

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DIY Snow Machine

JayR--looks like you put yours into something like a cooler. That is what we were thinking about doing--figured the thermal insulation might be a decent sound insulator also...

Post Thanks / Like

The original one was in a cooler. V2 is basically the same. 2 inch foam box covered in fiberglass. I think the real key for me was going with the squirrel cage type motor. Less RPM, more air. The whine from the leaf blower came right out with the air flow.

Post Thanks / Like

Added some new in action photos to the Flicker album. Hard to tell from these but it's going all the way out into the road.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187117...7649025450417/

Post Thanks / Like

What about using an electric air mattress/raft pump for blowing the sock & bubbles? The one I have has a 1/2" output that a PVC pipe fits snug over. You'd still need a fan to spread the bubbles out to the street but it's much smaller than the bounce house (and cheaper) motor.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried one during my R&D phase for V2.0 and a small shop vac. It inflated the sock well and made really good bubbles coming out of the sock but you still need something with some serious wind velocity to take the bubbles off the sock and break them up so they look like snow flakes. I was thinking of pairing it with a fan from one of those giant flapping sock guys they use outside car dealerships and furniture stores. However the air mattress pumps are not particularly quite motors because they use a small impeller spinning at high RPM you get that high pitched whine which I personally was trying to get away from and an fan suitable for outdoor use that will put out that kind of velocity aint cheep.
    Last edited by Jay R; 12-15-2014 at 05:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Made some snow. PVC, shopping bag, mattress pump and shop vac. Load but works. LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Braveit1 View Post
    Made some snow. PVC, shopping bag, mattress pump and shop vac. Load but works. LOL
    Video? How load is it?

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like a shop vac. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

This is how I connected it. My air pump fits nicely into a 1/2 PVC pipe where I drilled a 1/4" hole and ran a tube from the fluid pump into the PVC. I attached a drip nozzle on the end and placed that into a 1/2" to 1 1/2" couplier. Next I placed the shopping bag Sox and then a 1 1/2" to 2" coupler to hold the sock and direct excess air forward to blow the bubbles off the sock. I used a shop vac blower end to blow the 'snow' up into the air. It was loud so last night after the picture I bought a harbor freight portable ventilator #97762. It's 1590 cfm. Just need to make a stand for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789