sounds interesting. i may have to give it a whirl
    all pix <70 univ)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DIY Snow Machine

Quote Originally Posted by keebler View Post
    sounds interesting. i may have to give it a whirl

Here are my Thoughts
    Once prototype is working the multiple locations could be anything
    .....Snowman, Snow Cloud, placed on eve of house, etc..
    Use blower from my existing True North Snow machine
    ......pipe to multiple locations
    Use 55 gallon drum for Fluid storage
    ......centralized pump for multiple locations
    .......Pipe to multiple locations
    Pattern "socks" from existing machine
    Pattern needle valve and blow hole assembly from existing machine
    ......need to blow air inside and outside of "sock"
    Possible Controls
    ......each location to have on/of control, manual, X10, DMX,
    ......each location to have valve for fluid flow

Suggestions from the community.......:confused:
    Thanks
    Mike

[url=http://www.lightshowpro.com][img]http://www.lightshowpro.com/images/sigs/LSP_320.jpg[/img][/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Interested in this idea for a party we have coming up, but not having seen the workings of these snow machines... have you got pictures/exploded diagrams?

From what I can deduce from photos on the 'net:
    1. "soapy fluid" fluid is in the storage container
    2. the fluid is pumped under pressure(?)
    3. to some type of spray nozzle - you mentioned a needle here (could this be a microspray from a irrigation shop or does it need to be "finer mist"?)
    4. into a "sock/stocking/fine material" - which has air being blown into it to make the bubbles.

I take it steps 1-4 are to produce the "foam". I'd visualise doing this would make a foam-covered sock easy enough..

5. a large fan behind the whole thing + turbulance sends the "foam" into smaller segments up into the air - producing - what appears to be - snow...

am I on track?

I'm thinking:
    1. a fountain pump (10w or so)
    2. piped to a/some "misting spray(s)"
    3. your magical fluid concoction
    4. a silk scarf/pantyhose for the "collection"
    5. a big fan - from behind...

The higher the pump pressure the most mist; the stronger the fan the better the bubles.. etc..

Please bare with me... I have no idea what these things look like inside (the 'net is devoid of this info!)

My apolgies to previous posters... I just re-read the thread and noted I said the same thing as most others..
    Last edited by aususer; 01-07-2010 at 01:37 AM. Reason: dumb non-reading apologies..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aususer View Post

My apolgies to previous posters... I just re-read the thread and noted I said the same thing as most others..

NP....we have all done that.

My machines(commercial) are in the show until Saturday(1/9/10). I will try to get some pictures for you and post them.
    Last edited by mmulvenna; 01-07-2010 at 12:39 PM.
    Thanks
    Mike

[url=http://www.lightshowpro.com][img]http://www.lightshowpro.com/images/sigs/LSP_320.jpg[/img][/url]

Post Thanks / Like

I need to take mine apart this year for a good cleaning - basically you need a fluid pump + blower.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone gotten anywhere on this? I would really like to build one and understand the basic concept but don't know how to go about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob View Post
    Has anyone gotten anywhere on this? I would really like to build one and understand the basic concept but don't know how to go about it.
    Sorry took me a little longer to get the pics of the purchased snow machine than anticipated but here they are. As you can see there is not a lot to a artificial snow machine. Note on the fitting that the air blows thru that the air blows into the sock and also around it on the outside of the sock. Think of the sock material as blue jean material but a lot lighter.

I replaced the built in pump with a tile wet saw pump I purchased from Home Depot (RYOBI A113UWP). Sorry I did not get it in the pics, it is at the end of the clear tube and the pump sits in a 5 gallon bucket (container of your choice)containing the fluid.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by mmulvenna; 01-23-2010 at 01:14 PM.
    Thanks
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmulvenna View Post
    Sorry took me a little longer to get the pics of the purchased snow machine than anticipated but here they are. As you can see there is not a lot to a artificial snow machine. .
    Hope this helps
    Ah, Ha! That explains HEAPS!

I've been looking at one of these but if we boil it down, yours is essentially the same thing writ small.

If I understand your photos, working from back to front:
    Back is the motor; that drives the air pump (mounted on the front of it); air egress is split into two "streams" - a one for making of the foam, and a second for the dispersal of said foam into the playarea;

Foam Making: first the air is pushed through a mesh filter (assumin its a dust filter - and maybe some basic laminar flow), followed by a spray construction (which is essentially a tiny irrigation spray brass fitting, with a push on connector for the pvc supply pipe). This sprays liquid onto the nylon/stocking - held on with a cable tie at the front.

I can't see the spray arrangement - but suggest that is about right.

I've attached a diagram - as I am simple minded and diagrams are the best way for me to understand things ;)

From what I see... The difference with the unit I've been looking at appears to be in the dispersal system.
    They appear to use two different airstream generation - one blower for the generation of the foam (in the middle - something like a hairdryer blower/motor without the heat on) - and another for the overall dispersal.
    I suggest they could do it all with one fan if they used venturi to supply the spray into the foam sock..

I think I have the idea now..
    Now I have to find the time to play to see if I can make one... only 11 months to go... sheesh..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aususer View Post
    Ah, Ha! That explains HEAPS!

I've been looking at one of these but if we boil it down, yours is essentially the same thing writ small.

If I understand your photos, working from back to front:
    Back is the motor; that drives the air pump (mounted on the front of it); air egress is split into two "streams" - a one for making of the foam, and a second for the dispersal of said foam into the playarea;

Foam Making: first the air is pushed through a mesh filter (assumin its a dust filter - and maybe some basic laminar flow), followed by a spray construction (which is essentially a tiny irrigation spray brass fitting, with a push on connector for the pvc supply pipe). This sprays liquid onto the nylon/stocking - held on with a cable tie at the front.

I can't see the spray arrangement - but suggest that is about right.

I've attached a diagram - as I am simple minded and diagrams are the best way for me to understand things ;)

From what I see... The difference with the unit I've been looking at appears to be in the dispersal system.
    They appear to use two different airstream generation - one blower for the generation of the foam (in the middle - something like a hairdryer blower/motor without the heat on) - and another for the overall dispersal.
    I suggest they could do it all with one fan if they used venturi to supply the spray into the foam sock..

I think I have the idea now..
    Now I have to find the time to play to see if I can make one... only 11 months to go... sheesh..

Looks about right, my plan is to make mutiple outputs so the snow will come from many different places.
    Thanks
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

2 sources of air are good.

You need a high pressure supply (think vacuum cleaner in reverse) that is split: One way to force the fluid into/through the sock, and another to go around the sock to 'rip' the foam off the outside of it.

A second low pressure high volume air source (think large room fan) can be used to disburse the bubbles.
    -Mike
    [URL="http://www.LandoLights.com"]www.LandoLights.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.sequencecenter.com"]www.SequenceCenter.com[/URL] --> Vixen/LOR Sequences and More

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast