Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 519199100101
Results 1,001 to 1,003 of 1003

Thread: WELCOME!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WELCOME!!!!!!!

Welcome. FYI: You are not alone in Germany. I have a friend who lives in Germany doing both a halloween show and a Christmas show. It seems to be well received and he has a lighting party to kick off the Christmas season.

Do not worry about asking questions. This is the place to ask.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Hello! My name is Mark and I live in New Jersey.

My current setup consists of a Raspberry Pi 4 running FPP, a Falcon F16V3, power supply, router, and one 50-node string of WS2811 lights. I got xLights (I'm a Mac user, so Vixen isn't available for me) and just last night I got my first simple sequence running on the Pi and driving the lights!

So now I'm planning my whole setup. I realize I probably don't have enough time to finish it this year, but I'm having so much fun I can't stop. I want to use strip lights because I want all my lights to line up in nice straight lines without any fuss. I want to line the entire length of my roofline with a continuous line of lights. I haven't measured it yet but I would estimate the roofline is about 75 feet long. It's my understanding that I'll probably run into power issues if one line is too long. I've read the phrase "power injection" to solve that problem, but I don't know what that actually means in practice. Can anyone point me to a good resource on the topic? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. Be careful with your desire to use strips. Some of us have had good experiences and some of us have not. I am in the 'not' column and have been replacing all of my 1:1 (WS2812+) strips with bullet nodes pushed through a mounting strip like the one you can get from Boscoyo. They keep the pixels nicely aligned and act as a guide wire for the whole assembly. My 3:1 strips are working well and I am keeping them in the show.

As for power injection, it is a simple concept caused by pixel production costs. Wire can carry a finite amount of current before it has issues (voltage drop). The pixel manufacturers reduce costs by using smaller (lower current carrying capacity) less expensive wire. That means you need to correct this low power wire issue using better wire. Power injection is simply identifying points in your string of pixels at which the voltage has dropped below the minimum operating voltage of the pixel. At that point you take a fat wire from your PSU and splice it (inject power) into your pixels. The fat wire also has a limited capacity and over distance there are losses (voltage drop) so the choice of wire depends on the number of pixels the fat wire is driving and the distance from the PSU. The fatter the wire, the lower the losses (per foot) and the higher the current capacity. Fatter wire cost more per foot. FYI: These same issues drive the choice of location for your PSUs. Some people like a big central PSU others like distributed PSUs (I am in the distributed camp). There are pros and cons for either choice. There have been plenty of threads where such topics have been discussed.

Typical injection points are:
    • 12V pixels - every 100 pixels
    • 5V Pixels - Every 50 pixels

I personally inject my 5v pixels every 25 pixels and at both ends of the string. This is over engineered but it works for me.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 519199100101