Page 97 of 98 FirstFirst ... 478795969798 LastLast

Thread: WELCOME!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WELCOME!!!!!!!

Hello all!

My name is Eddie and I live in IL, outside of Chicago. My wife was complaining about wanting lights this past Christmas season, but I had never put any up in my life, and thought the static ones were too boring anyway. Instead of investing more money in more plain lights, I decided to start researching this stuff, and am already hooked on it without even making a purchase.

Logically, my brain wants to start small and slowly expand (maybe a nice LED Christmas wreath on the garage and string some LEDs along its outline), but my heart wants to go out and have a mega tree ready by this Christmas. I'm not a handy guy, so I don't really own any major power tools. I feel like this is going to cost me a LOT of money up front, as I need tools to get stuff built, and then the purchasing of the actual lights setup.

One question I do have about it something I haven't run into any videos of or in my research; I know there are pixel matrices that can be purchased as panels, but is there a way they can play pixelated versions of video clips? I want to incorporate snippets of music videos in my display (some day), but haven't seen anything close to a video being played. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? I haven't dug into this forum yet, so maybe I'll find it here, but asking now since it's part of the reason I joined.

Thanks in advance for your help, and for creating this forum!

Eddie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDummeh View Post

One question I do have about it something I haven't run into any videos of or in my research; I know there are pixel matrices that can be purchased as panels, but is there a way they can play pixelated versions of video clips? I want to incorporate snippets of music videos in my display (some day), but haven't seen anything close to a video being played. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? I haven't dug into this forum yet, so maybe I'll find it here, but asking now since it's part of the reason I joined.

Thanks in advance for your help, and for creating this forum!

Eddie
    There’s actually a whole forum for that!

Incorporating Video In a Display
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...&share_type=sf
    Last edited by kdoyon; 01-31-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of people use video clips in their shows. Both Vixen and xLights have mechanisms to ingest an MP4 file and incorporate it into your sequence. You will need something like a mega tree or a matrix to be able to play video.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Welcome!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kdoyon View Post
    There’s actually a whole forum for that!

Incorporating Video In a Display
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...&share_type=sf
    Thanks, kdoyon!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: WELCOME!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Lots of people use video clips in their shows. Both Vixen and xLights have mechanisms to ingest an MP4 file and incorporate it into your sequence. You will need something like a mega tree or a matrix to be able to play video.
    Awesome! I knew I had to either have a mega tree or matrix (both of which I'm contemplating for this year), but didn't know if there was a way to import snippets into the software. I'll actually have to download the software now and play around...thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,
    My name is Jesse and I live in Baytown TX (28 miles east of Houston). 2018 is my first year doing any light show (Christmas). I am going to attempt a Trans Siberian Orchestra themed show this year.

I jumped head first into this and did not check the depth of the water, wow eye opener. I was going to start with just 1 or 2 props and add to it each year to phase out my old lights, well........... My online ordering took over and now I have 3500 pixel lights (500-C9's and 3000-bullets). I will be running a Rasberry pi 3, sound mixer, fm transmitter (need to order), and 3-SD E682's. I will have 1-tall and 2-shorter mega trees, 4-mini trees, 4-snowflakes, front roof line, and 6-windows covered and segmented into 7 sections.

I looked more at hardware/props and sequencing was a second thought, thank goodness I started in January. I had no idea the sequencing was going to be so time consuming.

I will say I couldn't be happier with the decision to do this. I am a hands on fabrication type and not much on the technical side, so I'm sure once I have everything set up, many questions will come your way.

Any recommendations and/or tips are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arm166 View Post
    Hello All,
    My name is Jesse and I live in Baytown TX (28 miles east of Houston). 2018 is my first year doing any light show (Christmas). I am going to attempt a Trans Siberian Orchestra themed show this year.

I jumped head first into this and did not check the depth of the water, wow eye opener. I was going to start with just 1 or 2 props and add to it each year to phase out my old lights, well........... My online ordering took over and now I have 3500 pixel lights (500-C9's and 3000-bullets). I will be running a Rasberry pi 3, sound mixer, fm transmitter (need to order), and 3-SD E682's. I will have 1-tall and 2-shorter mega trees, 4-mini trees, 4-snowflakes, front roof line, and 6-windows covered and segmented into 7 sections.

I looked more at hardware/props and sequencing was a second thought, thank goodness I started in January. I had no idea the sequencing was going to be so time consuming.

I will say I couldn't be happier with the decision to do this. I am a hands on fabrication type and not much on the technical side, so I'm sure once I have everything set up, many questions will come your way.

Any recommendations and/or tips are welcomed and greatly appreciated.
    welcome to the craziness!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone, Mark here from Kearney MO. Just started doing this because my wife complained about our Christmas lights. So, if something is worth doing, its worth overdoing. I have bought the SS24 and have yet to assemble it. Is there a place you could direct me about connecting it to the computer? Kinda take me by the hand and lead me place. I'm kinda tech savy, but still at a loss as to what I exactly need to do. After I finish the SS24, do I need to flash it with firmware and if so, is there a software interface for that?

Post Thanks / Like

You flash the software using a device called a PICkit. You send data to the controller via an RS485 cable. The data needs to be in either Renard or DMX format (depends on the firmware you flasjed into the PIC). I use a PI running FPP to generate Renard data. Many use the Vixen or xLights players to generate Renard data. I use a USB-to-RS485 dongle to connect the player to the controller.

You can find this information in the WiKi for this forum.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the link to the SS24 page in the Wiki,

And everything you need to know about Renard Data Cables

It is a smart idea to get the Pickit to program the PICs but WayneJ does flash them w/ the default Renard Protocol before shipping.

If you need any help, let me know I have 3 of the SS24s that I built my 1st year.
    Matt

11. Thanks droneflyer thanked for this post
    Likes droneflyer liked this post
Page 97 of 98 FirstFirst ... 478795969798 LastLast