PDA

View Full Version : SSR troubles...

NickyVeee
12-16-2009, 03:57 AM
Hello all,

Before I fried my Grinch, I was working on an issue with my SSRs. I assembled everything as listed on the CIS Wiki. The only thing was the resistors. The ones in the picture, and the ones I received were... Well the same, but they had a different color and line arrangement. So naturally I BSed my way through it. I'm not sure if the resistors are dependent on the polarization or not.

Upon plugging one of my SSRs into the Channel A on my Grinch, I immediately saw the red LED light up, which I figure means that the board is now receiving power from the Grinch. But then when I fire up a 4 channel test in Vixen 2.1.1.0 (using the Olsen 595 plug-in), the lights turn on and off randomly. For example, if I select Channel 1, 2 and 4 will turn on. If I select all, they all shut off. If I select 3, all of them turn on. There is no specific pattern, it just keeps randomly changing.

I'm pretty sure I wired up the DB25 to the RJ45 correctly. And I believe I have the printer port set up in the BIOS for EPP 1.9, there is also an option for 1.7. Everything is wired as far as I can tell. It's just making it work right is the issue.

Your input, as always, is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick

WireWrap
12-16-2009, 04:48 AM
Hello all,

Before I fried my Grinch, I was working on an issue with my SSRs. I assembled everything as listed on the CIS Wiki. The only thing was the resistors. The ones in the picture, and the ones I received were... Well the same, but they had a different color and line arrangement. So naturally I BSed my way through it. I'm not sure if the resistors are dependent on the polarization or not.

Upon plugging one of my SSRs into the Channel A on my Grinch, I immediately saw the red LED light up, which I figure means that the board is now receiving power from the Grinch. But then when I fire up a 4 channel test in Vixen 2.1.1.0 (using the Olsen 595 plug-in), the lights turn on and off randomly. For example, if I select Channel 1, 2 and 4 will turn on. If I select all, they all shut off. If I select 3, all of them turn on. There is no specific pattern, it just keeps randomly changing.

I'm pretty sure I wired up the DB25 to the RJ45 correctly. And I believe I have the printer port set up in the BIOS for EPP 1.9, there is also an option for 1.7. Everything is wired as far as I can tell. It's just making it work right is the issue.

Your input, as always, is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick

Nick, I'm not exactly sure what you meant by saying that they were "different". That's sort of like saying that the label on a pill bottle is "different", and may have just as serious consequences for the health of your SSRs. There is no polarity to worry about, but the value of the resistor is what makes the circuit operate properly. Can you be a little more explicit about what you were expecting and what you got? Or which SSRs you were building? We'll be glad to help, we just need to know what to help on. Photos are always a help, too.

:)

NickyVeee
12-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Sorry for the confusion... I have the SSROZ v2.5e board which I received from wjohn.

I ordered all of the parts listed here: http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=4_Channel_SSROZ_Assembly_Instructi ons#Parts_List

Here's a picture of the SSROZ board I have assembled...

http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/63c55a9ecf7a155f2c581bb034d7209e.jpg

dirknerkle
12-16-2009, 01:57 PM
I've always had a lot of trouble discerning the stripe colors on resistors, and especially those that have a blue background such as those. I will always test each one independently rather than trust my eyes to determine which are the same values.

budude
12-16-2009, 02:16 PM
First question is - do other SSRs react the same way?

For the SSR, as Dirk suggested, check the resistor values - the 680s should be all on the "left" (per your picture) on the logic side while the 180s are on the right on the AC side. The other thing to check is to ensure you running your hot lead into the proper connector - it is the one next to the fuse of the 3-connection block.

If all SSRs react the same and it's none of the above, then you'll need to start checking on the Grinch and we'll go from there...

WakeFan
12-16-2009, 02:19 PM
If turning on channel three turns them all on, make sure your power input is not going to three instead of the correct power in. I have done that before, and that is they way mine acted.

NickyVeee
12-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Sounds good... Thanks for the input everyone!

Just FYI, I ordered all of the necessary parts (via the BOM list), and ordered enough to work for 6 boards. I had no excess of certain resistors ordered, and I didn't run out of resistors ordered. I assume if the LED lights up, that at least one of the resistors is working.

I have a feeling it may be the board, but I can't test it now since it's been fried (story in another thread). So I have to repair the board today and then test it later on. I also had to sub out with a similar IC, because Mouser didn't have the original, so I'm wondering if that could be it.

As far as the incoming hot connection, it is connected into the terminal labeled AC. I have checked to make sure that none of the AC connections are touching.

budude
12-16-2009, 04:06 PM
You can test SSRs btw. There are testers you can make but the easiest/fastest is to simply make a cable with a RJ45 connector at one end and stripped wires at the other. Connect a 5v source (or 3xAA batteries) with the positive on pin1 and the ground to either pins 2,4,6 and 8 (translates to channels 1,2,3 and 4). Just touch the ground lead to the corresponding leads to the SSR and you should see the lights turn on.

I did this with 32 of my SSROz boards using an old 5v wall wort...

NickyVeee
12-17-2009, 03:06 AM
I discovered there was a problem with the Grinch itself. Forgot to clean up a spot from the debris, and it was causing a couple shorts. Have cleared up (and actually repaired) my board, and everything is working just fine now. Thanks everyone for the input!