PDA

View Full Version : How to attach lights to house?!

smileforkyle
11-23-2009, 05:08 PM
What is the best way to hang light around windows, doors, walls. etc..., without damaging the building? PS...there are no gutters :(

dirknerkle
11-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Most of us build frames out of PVC that fit the windows/doors/etc., then mount the lights on the frames. From there, you can usually find pretty simple ways to hang frames on the house -- you'll almost always fine some place where you can attach a screw-eye or hook, etc. and zip-tie the frame to it. Some folks have had good luck with the 3M adhesive hooks, although they don't carry a very large weight...

smileforkyle
11-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Hey thanks for the quick reply!! I will have to look for 3m adhesive hooks. Sadly in Sweden, they dont have PVC. Even worse,,,they dont have standard bulbs! Only LEDs! While yes, they are nice and eco and last forever....they are soo expensive!

D4rknessxkilla
11-23-2009, 05:43 PM
pvc pipe! we used the pvc thats split down the middle! Worked great and looked great!

dirknerkle
11-23-2009, 05:46 PM
You might look for any sort of clip-on hooks that you can attach to shingles or house siding -- sometimes you can get something and just wedge it between pieces of siding and they work pretty well.

One of the biggest challenges in this hobby is finding a non-invasive/non-destructive way to hang lights... geez....

51fordf2 came up with a way to take PVC, cut out a section of it and then slice it into small pieces, and they fit into the siding on his house. Perhap you have other kinds of tubing or hose available in Sweden that might be stiff enough to work the same way...

DIY Guy
11-23-2009, 06:50 PM
pvc pipe! we used the pvc thats split down the middle! Worked great and looked great!

Do tell! PVC that splits down the middle?

dirknerkle
11-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Smileforkyle's problem with PVC is that it's not available in Sweden!!! Anybody have any other ideas/substitutes???

sjwilson122
11-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Frame work made out of 1 X 2 lumber. Lights zip tied to it. Only need two anchor point at top of window in the corners to hang frame work on. Use zip ties to secure framework to anchors.

sjwilson122
11-23-2009, 08:02 PM
DIY Guy,

Darknesskiller is talking about PVC frames I made for my house. 1/2 inch PVC pipe that I ran through my table saw to make a slit on one side. You have to use a screw driver to spread the slit apart wide enough to slip the wires and light base in. Use standard fittings for corners, no glue needed. If pipes don't fit tight in corners use a few wrapps of electric tape on pipe ends and you get a good snug fit. These can be taken appart for storage. We are preparing to move so time is tight, if I get a chance I will dig them out and post pictures.

DIY Guy
11-23-2009, 08:02 PM
I guess a good question would be what is inexpensive in Sweden?

If you don't have pvc, what are the homes plumbed with, copper? How about ABS pipe?

Aluminum channel?

1/4" steel rod bent in a square?

How about putting the lights on the inside of the window? With suction cups or something?

Tim

DIY Guy
11-23-2009, 08:04 PM
DIY Guy,

Darknesskiller is talking about PVC frames I made for my house. 1/2 inch PVC pipe that I ran through my table saw to make a slit on one side. You have to use a screw driver to spread the slit apart wide enough to slip the wires and light base in. Use standard fittings for corners, no glue needed. If pipes don't fit tight in corners use a few wrapps of electric tape on pipe ends and you get a good snug fit. These can be taken appart for storage. We are preparing to move so time is tight, if I get a chance I will dig them out and post pictures.

Thanks! Sounds like a great idea.

WireWrap
11-23-2009, 09:18 PM
I guess a good question would be what is inexpensive in Sweden?

If you don't have pvc, what are the homes plumbed with, copper? How about ABS pipe?

Aluminum channel?

1/4" steel rod bent in a square?

How about putting the lights on the inside of the window? With suction cups or something?

Tim

Dowel rod also works...

ppohlman
11-24-2009, 11:02 AM
There have been several other threads talking about keeping lights straight and putting them around windows.

Here are some links to a couple of them:
THREAD 1 - Mar 2008 (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2888)
THREAD 2 - Oct 2008 (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4639)
THREAD 3 - Dec 2008 (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5576)

Cruzzz
11-24-2009, 02:14 PM
I have had great success using binder clips to fasten christmas lights to the edges of my roof and on vinyl siding (on the J channel). They are easy to put on and remove and also help to keep the strings taught.