PDA

View Full Version : Some self induce grinch problems

Cliffiv
10-29-2007, 06:50 PM
I tried to go even cheaper on the building of the Grinch board by getting some free samples which work out great for the most part, until i tried to use some decopoupling Caps that the data said they should be within spec well they were not after days of trouble shooting on my own and with the help form the guys here on the boards I decided that i would replace the Caps with new ones of the same spec as the parts list that I got from Radio shack and that fixed the problem.
newdie lesson cheaper is not always better!
here is the finished product.

Macrosill
10-29-2007, 07:09 PM
I like it! :lol:

Wayne J
10-29-2007, 07:15 PM
COOL!

wjohn
10-29-2007, 07:28 PM
Very nice, did you etch the panel yourself? What method did u use?

stempile
10-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Very nice, did you etch the panel yourself? What method did u use?

Ditto - and can you make the graphic file available? I would like to give it a shot making something like that.

ms

Cliffiv
10-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Thanx for the kudo's and the image was the same one less the 64ch that I posted for the sig. All I did was use an ingraver to put it on Plexi and a highlighter for the green and a Perminent for the Hat.
Cliff

Jeff Millard
10-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Looks like something we need to scan and send to that big computer controlled milling machine down Carolina way! <grin>ch
Jeff

Wayne J
10-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Looks like something we need to scan and send to that big computer controlled milling machine down Carolina way! <grin>ch
Jeff

:wink:

8)

Matt
10-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Nice! And I definitely agree that cheaper is not always better...like when I tried to hook up my Renards with speaker wire or solder the SSR wires directly to the control board...boy, that was beyond stupid...

Anyway, excellent case!

-Matt

Macrosill
10-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Or when I made the Ledtiks and used Cat 5 conductors instead of bus wire. Probably the dumbest thing I ever did.

Do as I say, not as I do ..... because I do some stupid things!

stempile
10-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Nice! And I definitely agree that cheaper is not always better...like when I tried to hook up my Renards with speaker wire or solder the SSR wires directly to the control board...boy, that was beyond stupid...

Anyway, excellent case!

-Matt

I soldered 18 awg wire to my ssr board with with connectors on the end of 22 of my 32 boards. Skipped the Euro style screw terminals. I didn't have any issues. Came out very clean and works great.

Just wondering what happened in your case? Was the wire to large? That would make it harder...

ms

Matt
10-30-2007, 06:26 PM
I skipped the RJ45 connectors on my control board and just soldered on the ends of the CAT5, leaving me with no way to add onto the cords when I hooked my display up and found a few of them were too short... :?

-Matt

stempile
10-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Bummer.

I am still struggling with the time value. I am finding as I get older that if $25 bucks now might save me an hour or two later, its worth it. Seems like when later comes that hour or two is during crunch time and I am already frustrated... so given frustration, that $25 investment increases in value 10x. I just need to remind myself that as I often forget!

ms