PDA

View Full Version : Simple Grinch Test

Matt_Edwards
11-17-2009, 04:51 AM
I am new to Grinch. Thanx to wjohn and RPM I am now attempting to get another 96 channels out in the garden, via RPM's Grinch Dimmer.

Both boards are built and I want to test them. If I use these sort for controller testers. should the LEDS pulse on when I run vixen? ATM I get nothing out.
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=86&pictureid=411
I know these LEDs work with my other controllers.

NogginBoink
11-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Depends on how they're wired. Can you give us more info?

Matt_Edwards
11-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Pin 1 - +5v and LED Anodes
Pin 2 - 470R & Ch1 LED
Pin 4 - 470R & Ch2 LED
Pin 6 - 470R & Ch3 LED
Pin 8 - 470R & Ch4 LED

budude
11-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Hmm - - the Grinch talks to regular DIY SSRs so this should work - does a regular SSR work OK?

Matt_Edwards
11-17-2009, 03:37 PM
unfortunately they are all deployed. But thanks to answering my question. My problem is I have two new component with no real way of testing them separately.
Time to get the Cro out and look at signals.

BTW I have already replaced all the chips on the Grinch Dimmer in case I had a dud - no improvement.

holtm
11-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Not sure what the dimmer part of the Grinch does. If it is designed to use a single pulse through the opto to turn on the triac and letting the triac turn itself off, you won't see the LEDs on. If the opto is staying on for the whole dimming cycle then they should work.

jpb
11-17-2009, 11:54 PM
Matt, as budude says, if they work on a normal controller they should work on a Grinch.

I have similar plugs for testing my dimming grinch and they work fine. I am only at Glenwood if you need to test something.

Jon

Matt_Edwards
11-18-2009, 05:58 PM
I can report I am one Happy Chappy.
I had oportunity to verify the Grinches work fine last night. JPB you're a champ.;)
So I got my CRO out and verified the outputs of IC4 were as would be expected. But there was no data signal on pin8 of J3.
Turned out to be a two scratches on the copper on the bottom layer. Unfortunately it looks like a manufacturing error as the solder resist was in tact and not scratched.

Thing work well now.

This is a great community - thanx for all the help.

RRohn
04-27-2010, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the tester idea! im sure it will come in handy with all the cabling i have. :D