PDA

View Full Version : Lock Box for Charity Donations

mkess
11-11-2009, 01:16 PM
I am pondering if I want to tackle this this year. My wife and I were talking about it the other night and the one thing we couldn't figure was how to keep a lock box or something from being stolen or vandalized. Also what do you use for you donation box? Also do you guys contact the charity and let them know what you are doing or do you just collect the money and turn it in at the end of the season?

dirknerkle
11-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Those who have donation boxes typically mount them into cement, and it can get pretty involved. I toyed with the idea this year but decided instead just to include a donations message in a couple of my radio announcements about donating to worthy causes -- pick the one of your choice...

budude
11-11-2009, 02:29 PM
By the way - - be sure to check if your company has any matching donation policies - mine (as well as other higher ups in the company) were matching 3x the donations!!

If yours doesn't - perhaps you know someone who does - you could give those donations through them in your name (or anonymous - whatever you wish). It's good to get as much as you can out of it!

BuzzKill
11-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Steel and concrete!

Just remember rule #1 - If they really want to steal it, they will.

You are only implementing a strategy to either slow them down, or to try and convince them it is not worth their while to try. But always refer back to rule #1.

tlorek
11-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Steel and concrete!

Hold that thought...I'll have pics either later tonight or tomorrow.

gizmo
11-11-2009, 11:02 PM
i know a guy who made one to fit into the receiver hitch on his truck.

easy to just pull in the garage at the end of the night, and no concrete.

it is made of 1/8" steel plate with a slot of the $$ and a lockable door.

Photovor
11-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Make a donation box that has a large funnel in it, run a tube from that bottom of that funnel to somewhere inside the house, so the money makes it's way from the donation box to the inside without the risk of being stolen if the donation box goes missing. Think of the 18th hole ball return on a mini-golf course. You can further improve this method by hooking up a shop vac on the end of the tube, and activating the shop vac whenever it senses a donation, thus pulling change and dollar bills through the tube easier and potentially sucking more money out of their wallet.

LOL, so that's my fun and elaborate idea!

dirknerkle
11-12-2009, 01:33 PM
You can further improve this method by hooking up a shop vac on the end of the tube, and activating the shop vac whenever it senses a donation, thus pulling change and dollar bills through the tube easier and potentially sucking more money out of their wallet.

LOL, so that's my fun and elaborate idea!

I like it!!! And it solves the issue of gravity if your house is higher than the street. The government uses a similar tactic. It's called the IRS. :lol:

BuzzKill
11-12-2009, 03:50 PM
If you really want to take this to the next level you turn the process into a game with some sort of feedback for the donatation. Only certain features of the display will light if a donation is made, or a special song will play, etc. If you give some sort of feedback/reward I promise people will be digging in their pockets to make whatever it is you set up do it again. Just be sure you are clear with what is donated and to whom. Nobody likes to feel ripped off.

Warlock
11-12-2009, 10:40 PM
It is pretty simple....Take a fence post 12 feet long.Bang it into the ground till 5 feet is above ground level.Take 1/4 plate steel and weld it into a box with safe hinges that have the hinge on the inside..Weld inplace...Then simply cut a 3 inch by 2 inch hole in the back of said box...Get a piece of 2 inch by 6 inch long 1/4 thick rebar or plate steel.Cut matching hole inside post.Incert bar through post and box with lock on inside.Completely theft proof...My design can be seen on the Lindsay Boys website http://www.lindsaylights.com...Enjoy..O and btw it worked for them for 5 years with the same post..So this design does work great...