PDA

View Full Version : Led good or bad

olingerjccj
11-01-2009, 10:07 PM
I have been looking around, If i use led lighting in some parts of my display the load per channel would go down and I could spread my 24 channels around a bit more. I am hooking up the Renard 24ss but I have read the full wave and 1/2 wave type led. I have also read the delay time might be a bit slower. Anyone had success with led if so any specific type to get?

Thanks
John

sjwilson122
11-02-2009, 07:57 AM
I use a cobination of incandescent and LEDs in my show. The LEDs I have are from both Lowes and Home Depot. I have found that LEDs are similar to incandescent in that color and spacing vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Try not to mix the brands together on any one item (mega tree for example) and you really won't notice. The easiest way I have found to check for half wave or full wave (since most of the time the box won't tell you) is to plug in the string and let about 3-4 feet of the lights hang down and gently swing the light back and forth. Do not look directly at the lights but just off to the side. If they appear to flicker as they swing they are half wave.

As for dimming, on ramp up LEDs will light before the incandescent and reach full brightness quicker. On ramp down the incandescent will start to dim first and go dark before the LEDs. On fast fades (a second or less) it is not noticeable. Anything longer and you will probably want to adjust the timming or intensity settings to get the incandescents and LEDs to match up better.

ppohlman
11-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Anything longer and you will probably want to adjust the timming or intensity settings to get the incandescents and LEDs to match up better.

Or you could use the new Dimming Curve feature in Vixen 2.5. You can set up the curves for the different light strand types so that all of them dim at the same rate between completely off to 100% on.