PDA

View Full Version : won't work under load

spookylake
10-31-2009, 01:19 AM
i'm using my brothers Olsen 595 board from christmas to run a halloween display. Heres the issue....it seems to work fine except for when you plug the lights in and run the sequence. When there is load on the relays it just goes nuts and trips spuratic and all over the place.

I bought two new boards and figured we just blew the original. i just soldered a new board together and the same thing.

i pulled out all of the chips except for the first set and it does the same thing. once you run the sequence when there are lights plugged in it goes bizerk

Any ideas?

i've tried three different relay boards.....same
i've built a new Olsen 595....same
My brother brought over his laptop that he runs his Christmas with....same

Possibly the LPT to RJ45 connector on the back of the computer???

Any help would be appreciated

dirknerkle
10-31-2009, 01:28 AM
Make sure your parallel port is set in ECP or EPP mode. 595's act kind of squirrelly if the port setting isn't right...

Also, if you're using hardware relays (not SSRs) you'll need protection diodes on them so they don't send voltage back to the 595 board when they release. That could cause all sorts of problems.

budude
10-31-2009, 02:13 AM
One other thing to try is to plug the power source for the 595 on a separate circuit from the circuit to the relays/lights. As dirknerkle has suggested you may want to add the snubber circuit if that doesn't make a difference.

djulien
10-31-2009, 02:45 AM
it seems to work fine except for when you plug the lights in and run the sequence. When there is load on the relays it just goes nuts and trips spuratic and all over the place.

What kind of lights and what kind of relays are you using?

don

sjwilson122
11-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Are you by any chance using the same power supply to feed the 595 and the switch side of the relays? I tried that once years ago in electronics class. The arcing of the contacts in the relay sends noise back down the power line that the 595 can see and will creat havoc. Only shows up though when there is a load on the relays.

spookylake
11-01-2009, 07:10 PM
we are using a very simple mechanical relay configuration.
my brother built a new relay board but he says it does the same thing.
i replaced the diodes on the relay board thinking they may have been damaged....no help

i switched the direction of the diodes but it doesn't work at all......

it is baffling us. this ran for three years. he had an overload on one of the relay boards and now all boards do this......but we built a new relay board.

i have also built a new Olsen 595.

what type of relay boards are everyone else using?
are the SSR that are self contained the best?
are SSR boards best?
are SSR triac boards good?

we will be using this for christmas for the standard small light strings.

thanks

budude
11-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Did you try separating the power source circuit to the 595 controller and the one going to the relays as suggested previously? I recall someone with a LOR controller running relays and it had a similar failure as yours. There was feedback from the relays back to the controller causing issues. Once they separated the circuits - no more problems...

Macrosill
11-02-2009, 08:52 AM
What are you using to supply power to the 595 board? How is the board configured?