PDA

View Full Version : Chanel inconsistancy

bnradams
10-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Hey all,

This is my first build of a light controller and all went well except a few minor oversights that were easily trouble-shooted. I got my design from another site for a strip-board 595 and a seperate 6 channel SSR. My 595 board uses three 595's for 24 channels (so far). My trouble is that once I got it all up and running, some channels react normal (turn on/off from vixen) and others at first appeared dead. I can turn on all 24 and all come on, turn off all 24 and all turn off, but if I go one at a time some come on/off some dont. Some will turn on/off a pair of channels at the SSR end. I have set up my plug-in several ways (simple 595, olson 595, 24 channels total, 6 channels total) all react similarly. Any ideas on were to go from here? I have had a blast so far in the build and Im not about to give up.

Wayne J
10-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Check your parallel port settings in the bios, you want it set on EPP.

jmksparks
10-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Had same probs, when I first started. Found the solution on this site somewhere. Apparently the 595s want the same signal voltage as what is powering them. IE. my signal volt read 3.8v so I reduced 5v powering them by placing two diodes in power line -1.4v. This was on an old "98" computer parallel port. Hope this helps, John.

bnradams
11-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Hey thanks for the replies, I had read about the port settings and kept trying to change them through windows control panel. Then I googled bios and figured out that I had to reboot to get to bios settings. This did the trick. What I havent read is what is the difference between EPP and the other settings? I'm up and running now and even used 12 channels and some different colored lights for some Holloween theme lighting last night, turned out great and had several people ask what kind of lights I had and where I got them! I had a lightning effect going with sound from a small PC subwoofer and speakers on the front porch. Very satisfying to see some results!

hwrdmltn
11-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Check your parallel port settings in the bios, you want it set on EPP.

Good catch Wayne - I was having the same issue -

thanks...:D

73's de KB1ARQ