PDA

View Full Version : 24VDC Switch Mode Power Supply . . . a little help please :)

toodle_pipsky
10-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Hello happy people.

Perhaps a little late to be asking for help, considering that it's 1 month to go and I've already bought the darn thing . . . anyway.

I bought one of these guys http://www.rockby.com.au/myindex.cfm it's listed right at the top right hand side. Um how do I hook it up? I could guess and cause a black hole - I would guess it's power in left side, power out right side, more importantly what pins are what (or how do I find out). My intention was to power the LED floods with it.

Any ideas, or need more info??

Thanks as always.

n1ist
10-27-2009, 10:02 AM
It's a single-sided board, so it should be easy to trace out the schematic. AC input is certainly on the left; the three pins are frame ground (earth), line, and neutral. Line should go to the fuse; both line and neutral will end up at the common-mode choke (the transformer-looking thing closest to the left of the board).

On the right side, you will see that most of the pins are tied together in two groups, one for +24 and the other for DC return. Two pins may be reserved for sense pins and if so, they might need to be connected to the output pins for the supply to work.
/mike

rstehle
10-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Does the mfg. have a web site? There may be info listed there.
If not, yes you are right, power in on the left, out on the right. You can use a DMM to determine what the output voltages and ground are. Please be careful working in and around a live PS.

prof
10-27-2009, 04:31 PM
This appears to be a clone variation as it Looks exactly the same as the Rockby unit. Hopefully the pinouts are the same too.
24V PSU (http://www.meanwell.com/search/lps-100/default.htm)
Jaycar also sell the same unit as Rockby and they most likely got it from Electus Distribution. (They do not show pinouts either).

Craig.

toodle_pipsky
10-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. This is the same board Rockby's selling because that's where I bought it.
Thanks for finding that data sheet prof. Looks the same - bottom of the three pins is connected to the fuse, so that confirms what n1st says. The pin outs are grouped into 2 as well. (I tried using my DMM to figure out what was what but it didn't tell me anything - no reaction when measuring resistance, stupid cheap thing).

Just one final question - for the power in, which one is brown and which is blue, line or neutral? (I know green/yellow is ground).

n1ist
10-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Brown is hot, blue is neutral, and of course green/yellow is ground.
/mike

toodle_pipsky
10-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Excellent. Thank you very much. I'll give it a burl at lunch time.

wjohn
10-28-2009, 01:58 AM
if TP does not come back from lunch, should we call 9-11/000 ??

WWNF911
10-28-2009, 03:36 AM
LOL

Lets just put that thought out of our heads John. :lol:

I mean YES!!!

Leon

toodle_pipsky
10-28-2009, 03:43 AM
Ha ha . . . I'm still here. However, I was too busy @ lunch to even look at it, so when I finish TAFE tonight I'll try again. So if I haven't posted in say 5 hours time, please email emergency services. :)

toodle_pipsky
10-31-2009, 09:32 AM
Powered that sucker up this arvo and it worked! No smoke, no explosion, no black hole - I must admit, part of me was a little sad there was no ka-boom. ;)

Thank you again for the help.

mrpackethead
10-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Powered that sucker up this arvo and it worked! No smoke, no explosion, no black hole - I must admit, part of me was a little sad there was no ka-boom. ;)

Thank you again for the help.

You've become that electrical engineer that you always dreamed of being when you were a little girl right?

toodle_pipsky
11-01-2009, 01:49 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA I always wanted "electrician Barbie"