PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl banner mount

Virtus
10-20-2009, 06:59 PM
If you bought a vinyl "Tune To" sign from this offer (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=70063&postcount=1) you may be interested in an inexpensive way to mount and use the sign. I used 1/2" EMT and 1/2" PVC FIP 90 degree unions and a $3.99 bundle of bungees from Walmart. The EMT is Gorilla Glue'd (it expands) into the PVC corners and allowed to dry overnight laying flat on the garage floor. I am using this technique as I bought two banners and need to reuse the frame for a second purpose. This makes it easy to re-rig without any tools or consumables.

Virtus
10-20-2009, 07:04 PM
The twist in picture 6 is important.

XmasInGalt
10-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Great idea! I have two banners and wasn't sure how to mount them. This idea gives me the option to mount them in a number of different places. Thanks.:idea:

dirknerkle
10-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Very slick! I can see how the "twist" is important -- it's what keeps the bungee on the ball end.

Nice goin'!!! I've been trying to come up with a good way to put one of those up, and you just solved the problem for me! THANKS!

-dave

oldcqr
10-20-2009, 09:40 PM
I used 1" PVC all the way around vs the EMT.

I glued it up in sections, leaving the cross-members unglued. That allows me to take it apart and store it overhead.

Before gluing it all up, I wrapped the PVC candy-cane style with tape and painted it red (making for red and white stripes). I painted the elbows/tees/etc silver - they were going to be too hard to wrap with tape for the candy cane effect. The silver is a nice contrast.

When the display goes up in a few weeks, I'll have pics.

tlorek
10-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Sigh :(

One more project...Here I was going to take two steel stakes and plop them into the ground and everything was going to be just fine. <Steve Martin voice>But Noooooooooooo!!!!</Steve Martin voice>, Virtus has to come along and post a simple, elegant method of making my plans look even more cheap and second-thought than they already are. Now I've got to make another trip to Lowes ;) and pick up some PVC to build a proper frame.

Thanks a lot!!!! :mad: I may even have to pick up some lights and cords while I'm there. Damn this is addictive!

XmasInGalt
10-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks a lot!!!! :mad: I may even have to pick up some lights and cords while I'm there. Damn this is addictive!

LOL. So, is this a support group or are we just a group of enablers.

dirknerkle
10-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Sigh :(

One more project...Here I was going to take two steel stakes and plop them into the ground and everything was going to be just fine. <Steve Martin voice>But Noooooooooooo!!!!</Steve Martin voice>, Virtus has to come along and post a simple, elegant method of making my plans look even more cheap and second-thought than they already are. Now I've got to make another trip to Lowes ;) and pick up some PVC to build a proper frame.

Don't you just love it when somebody comes along with such a simple idea and it gives you yet another opportunity to feel like you're a moron?!?!

I'm headed to Lowe's after work, too.... arghhhh....

ctmal
07-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the sale price and the idea for hanging it. The sign is in and the frame is made. Much easier this way than how I was originally planning. The bungie tie downs worked great!

For anybody who can't find them at walmart they are in the automotive section.

ukewarrior
07-13-2011, 08:38 PM
I have used this method for two seasons and am very very happy with it.
ZERO problems with ice, wind, rain or snow.

The twist in picture 6 is important.

Jrd
07-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Wow, that looks great.