PDA

View Full Version : My take on the PVC mini tree

kboyts
10-20-2009, 10:15 AM
I just completed my first mini tree. I used 1/2" "flex" pvc from homedepot for the base. It comes in 5' sections, I used one complete section for the base of each tree.

1- cut the flex PVC into three 20" pieces
2- Pre flex the pvc by hand into a curve to make assembly easier
3- place a 1/2" "T" in between each section to join them
4- I drilled a hole thru each side of the T and corresponding flex piece and secured it with a zip tie
5-cut 3 pieces of 1/2" gold line pvc at 3 feet each and insert in the upright hole in the T fittings
6- insert 3 foot section of 7/16 dowel rod into each piece of PVC for added strength
7- Then drill a hole thru the top of each tree section and secure the three together with a zip tie ( I filled the exposed end with latex caulking to seal them up)
8- spray with krylon fusion green paint

As for wrapping the lights, this way worked out nearly perfect for me. I used Philips 100 bulb mini light strings from Target. One string each of red and green. Measure from the base of the tree and make a mark every 3 inches up one of the "legs" of the tree. Wrap your first color lights around zip tieing at each mark. Then follow up with the second strings in between each of those.

(Please ignore the zipties ends, I just finished it and was excited to show it off so I hadn't had time to trim the ends off yet.)

dirknerkle
10-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Really nice work! I like the green color. Sweet!!!

Tell me though... you aren't planning to lay them down on the ground sideways, are you??? :lol:

kboyts
10-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the approval. This was my first successful decoration fabrication. My first two attempts at illuminated presents to sit by my "mega" tree never lived up to my expectations so I ended up buying some pre made.

lol I was in too big of a hurry to get my creation online to rotate the picture lol

GodSpeed
10-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the approval. This was my first successful decoration fabrication. My first two attempts at illuminated presents to sit by my "mega" tree never lived up to my expectations so I ended up buying some pre made.

lol I was in too big of a hurry to get my creation online to rotate the picture lol

Nice work. My first attempt was a PVC gift box. I believe I will be dis-assembling that one and retrying it.

bcadman
10-20-2009, 08:17 PM
I was using my laptop when I viewed the photos. There are advantages to laptops, like being able to turn it on its side.

kboyts
10-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Ok guys I fixed the images to make it a little easier to view. Please excuse the background mess, too many irons in the fire to keep the shop/office clean lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/kboyts/XMAS09/P1020284.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/kboyts/XMAS09/P1020285.jpg

Tom3982s
10-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Looks very easy to do, thanks for sharing. Any pics of it lighted up at night?

kboyts
10-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Havent gotten any outsid epics of it yet. Ill probably be putting all my lights up first of novemeber so Ive jsut been holding out till then