PDA

View Full Version : New Twist on Old Flood Lights

dirknerkle
10-19-2009, 11:06 PM
I had a couple old outdoor flood light fixtures sitting around and a couple round PVC boxes, so I thought I'd assemble a couple two-channel SSRs in each, mount them on the house above our back patio and light the whole back yard with them. (Well, not the whole back yard... I have a really big yard... ;) )

I made a custom 2-channel circuitboard to fit inside the box (I love my Dremel!) and while I was at it, made them channel-selectable using jumpers and daisy-chainable to cut down on cabling, hot-glued the board into the round PVC box and hot-glued all the other openings, mounted the waterproof light fixture on the top and the result was a virtually waterproof, fully-enclosed unit. Because I was going to use 150W flood lights, I beefed up the triacs a little to 8A units for a little more current/heat headroom.

This'll look great this winter when I fire them up with the Renard on all that clean snow that'll be covering our back yard -- four different colored 150watt flood lights all overlapping outside a picture window... My wife will be so pleased... :D

LabRat
10-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Very Nice!!

(excellent dremel work too)

budude
10-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Nice Dirk! I never did get around to making any of your new-fangled channel-select (or single-channel) SSRs -- one of these days...

Photovor
10-20-2009, 09:26 AM
I really like this idea, and how clean it is too. Definitely something you can leave up all year round and never know the difference.