PDA

View Full Version : what gauge wire?

IS_IT_X-MAS
10-23-2007, 12:45 AM
Ok, about 4 months ago i made 16 ssr enclosers for my display, and used some wire that i found at home depot. the only thing that was said on the box was the wire gauge.( no other information) i used it any way and now im growing concerned, i bought the 16 gauge wire that they had and used that, but i dono if that is ok or not. what do you guys think about that? i like every one else dont want to have a fire.(on top of the ones that are already burning in my community right now.)
I am going to be, in the next week, wireing up 16 more and want to make sure that this is the stuff that i should be using. i have already bought more 16 gauge wire but it can still be exchanged if you guys dont think i should be using this.

Edit:
over the last couple months, i have been turning them on randomly, but the longest they have been on so far has been about 30 minutes.

Thanks,
Brent

Macrosill
10-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Brent,
What will each ssr be powering? Its dificult to know of the 16awg conductors will be sufficient when I do not know what the load is.

IS_IT_X-MAS
10-23-2007, 05:34 PM
i would have to say, about 12 standard net lights per board, so 3 per channel. (let me now if you need any specs on them.(sorry im not that good at calculating all the stuff))

xmus
10-23-2007, 06:51 PM
net lights draw about .33Amps each (approximately)... 3 per channel = about 1amp per channel.

Jeff Millard
10-23-2007, 08:11 PM
net lights draw about .33Amps each (approximately)... 3 per channel = about 1amp per channel.

According to the wire guage guide on PlanetChristmas... (http://www.planetchristmas.com/WireSize.htm) 0-2 amps up to 150' so your 16 gauge wire should be OK,
Jeff

xmus
10-23-2007, 08:12 PM
IS_IT_X-MAS, are you supplying power to the ssr board with it?
Then he would be supplying 4Amps to the SSR board with 16 gauge which is fine on the chart as well..... (under 50 feet, using one extra box for margin)

IS_IT_X-MAS
10-23-2007, 09:43 PM
hmm ok... so it looks like ill be ok for one ssr box, now i have another question, below is a picture of my ssr box set up, i used the 16 gauge wire for all of it, and was planing to make a chain of boxes (4-5 boxes) by pluging them all together. from what you said above i dono if it will work. please let me know you opinion of this issue.

Thanks,
Brent
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6935258
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6935257

IS_IT_X-MAS
10-23-2007, 09:54 PM
from looking at the chart jeff provided, it looks like i can only chain 2 together, im i looking at that correctly? is there any effect when i am going from a extension cord to some 16 gauge wire, than to another extension cord and back to some more 16 gauge wire?

Edit:

this also gives me more questions(sorry, im only 15 and dont want to set the house on fire)

i am making a box with 12 ssrs in it.(for a mega tree) i am only going to have 1, 100 light string on each channel in total making 48 channels(48 strans of lights)). like (they are less than .30 amps i beleive). i have already bought about 50, 5 amp fuses maybe 3 months ago so im using those. my question is, if i use the 14 gauge wire(for the main power wires) and hook 24 strans of lights up (7.2 amps) on one plug and (7.2 amps) on another plug, will the fuses react in any way?(would they be checking for 60 amps (30 amps on each plug) since there are 5 amp fuses in there?) again im just learning about power :)

thanks,
Brent

xmus
10-23-2007, 11:16 PM
from looking at the chart jeff provided, it looks like i can only chain 2 together, im i looking at that correctly? is there any effect when i am going from a extension cord to some 16 gauge wire, than to another extension cord and back to some more 16 gauge wire?

Edit:

this also gives me more questions(sorry, im only 15 and dont want to set the house on fire)

Yes i agree, only 2 together with 16ga wire.
Now remember that a rule-of-thumb is to look at the chart, and then go one more box "up" for a little margin for error.

Note: When posting URL's don't click "Img" just click nothing, or click URL.

Don't make any excuses about your age, we are happy to help dude, relax :) Most people twice your age wouldn't even know where to start with this hobby, your are smarter than 99% of Americans already, so relax!

Okay now to digest your fuse description...

xmus
10-23-2007, 11:23 PM
i am making a box with 12 ssrs in it.(for a mega tree) i am only going to have 1, 100 light string on each channel in total making 48 channels(48 strans of lights)). like (they are less than .30 amps i beleive). i have already bought about 50, 5 amp fuses maybe 3 months ago so im using those. my question is, if i use the 14 gauge wire(for the main power wires) and hook 24 strans of lights up (7.2 amps) on one plug and (7.2 amps) on another plug, will the fuses react in any way?(would they be checking for 60 amps (30 amps on each plug) since there are 5 amp fuses in there?) again im just learning about power :)

thanks,
Brent

Okay 12 SSRs... each with 4 Ch, = 48 channels.
0.3 Amp per channel is a good estimate
You seriously purchased 50 fuses? (gasp!)
Each SSR takes one fuse, so you need 12 fuses and a few spares.
Does each strand of Christmas lights have it's own fuse where it plugs in? Mine do...

14 guage wire how long?

No fuses aren't that smart, and a 5 amp fuse on each string of lights isn't how the SSR works anyway... answer the above questions and then we will continue.

Wayne J
10-23-2007, 11:25 PM
OK, you cannot mutiply the fuse count with thier amp rating. The 5 amp fuse is just that, 5 amps. You are putting one fuse per SSR correct? Then one string of lights per channel, for 1.2 amps (total)
The fuses are only seeing the load of the SSR it is connected to, which would be 1.2A.

Don't know if that helps or not.

IS_IT_X-MAS
10-24-2007, 01:05 AM
thanks guys for responding so fast!

x-mus,
yes, all my christmas lights have fuses on them.
the 14 gauge wire would be in peices no more than 1 foot. (so 6 boards on one plug so around 6 feet all together on each plug)

5 amp fuse on each string of lights isn't how the SSR works anyway that wasent really what i was saying, but anyways i hope what i have provided will give a better understanding.

Wayne, thanks for clarifying that for me!

xmus
10-24-2007, 03:30 AM
thanks guys for responding so fast!

x-mus,
yes, all my christmas lights have fuses on them.
the 14 gauge wire would be in peices no more than 1 foot. (so 6 boards on one plug so around 6 feet all together on each plug)

5 amp fuse on each string of lights isn't how the SSR works anyway that wasent really what i was saying, but anyways i hope what i have provided will give a better understanding.

Wayne, thanks for clarifying that for me!

Okay, in short, what we are saying is:
1) the fuse on each SSR (4 channels each) should be 10-20% higher than the expected actual load.
2) What are you doing up so late on a school night! I better not get in trouble for aiding and abetting a minor
3) So for example, 4 channels @ .3Amps = 1.2Amps. You want about a 1.5A to 2A fuse on each SSR. You can buy these at home depot for about $2.67 for 2, or at radio shack for about $2.99 for 4. (I believe the Sean Bowf SSR uses the same fuses as the XMUS board, which are 5mm x 20mm, someone please correct me if I'm wrong there...)

Does that make sense? Any questions?

next the 14gauge wire....

xmus
10-24-2007, 03:34 AM
14 gauge wire in short lengths can carry up to 12 amps (one box degrade for margin).

so each of your SSR's uses 1.2A (assume .3A per ch), so you could run up to
10 SSR's on one run of 14A wire. But in your case, you've already decided to run it in two batches, to reduce the current draw on one particular circuit breaker (i assume?). So if you ran 6 SSR boxes, 6 x 4 ch each = 24 channels @ .3 A each = 7.2 Amps each which matches your prior calculation, then you are fine. you are at 7.2 amps, and the 14 gauge can handle 12 amps, so that is plenty of margin.

Make sure you split them into two batches though, if you wired all of this up through one 14gauge wire, your total load would be 14.4Amps, which is above 12 amps = fire = bad.

good to go I say.

IS_IT_X-MAS
10-24-2007, 09:22 AM
hey thanks!

the only thing that i have a question on is the fuses, like i said earlyer i already have around 50, 5A fuses that i bought, and i dont really want to buy any more since i already have these sitting around.

bottom line:
would it still work if i used the 5A fuses?

and another quick question,
is it ok if 14 gauge wire goes into the ssrs, and 16 gauge wires come out to my outlets?

thanks again
Brent

xmus
10-24-2007, 02:00 PM
bottom line:
would it still work if i used the 5A fuses?

and another quick question,
is it ok if 14 gauge wire goes into the ssrs, and 16 gauge wires come out to my outlets?

thanks again
Brent

They would work, you could put them in, and they wouldn't blow out, and lights would blink and flash. But it is a safety issue, your fuse is rated for 4 times what your actual load is, something would have to explode for the fuse to blow... better to use a fuse closer to your actual requirements plus a little extra... in your case a 2 amp fuse would be safe, a 1.5A fuse would be safest (assuming it didn't occasionally blow by accident due to our estimate of .3 A being a little off, what if it was really .35 and then your fuse is always blowing).

16gu at short distances is rated for 7A max, which is a more than enough for strings of lights.

So: 14 gauge from the outlet to the SSR's, 16 gauge from the SSR's to individual lights. 2A fuses on the SSR's.

WakeFan
10-24-2007, 05:16 PM
On the same line, I have some computer power supply cords that I was planning on powering my 4 channel SSRs. I noticed the wire guage is 18. The cords are 6ft and I will have 2 sets of lights on each channel. My lights are .2amp ea. Total of 1.6amps. Will they work and be safe?

xmus
10-24-2007, 11:23 PM
On the same line, I have some computer power supply cords that I was planning on powering my 4 channel SSRs. I noticed the wire guage is 18. The cords are 6ft and I will have 2 sets of lights on each channel. My lights are .2amp ea. Total of 1.6amps. Will they work and be safe?

http://www.planetchristmas.com/WireSize.htm
18 gauge isn't even on the chart.....

cmurray
10-24-2007, 11:32 PM
I tend to like this chart as it includes all sizes.
http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Wire-Gauge_Ampacity

They list 16ga as 13Amps which is what my extension cords say so I trust them.

Be sure to read the disclaimer at the top of the page.

JOel