PDA

View Full Version : Moisture Proof with PlastiDip

Photovor
10-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Couldn't really think of a better place to post this, does anyone have any thoughts on using that PlastiDip to weather protect a small circuit board?

I have a board that is about 2"x2" with some coils, caps, resistors, and transistors on it, and I'd like to moisture proof the board directly somehow. Putting it in a container would make it too bulky, so I thought this is my next best idea.

ErnieHorning
10-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Other than the obvious if it needs to be fixed; I don’t see a problem doing this. I’ve seen commercial boards with what appears to be the same material.

51fordf2
10-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Are you talking about potting the board? I would mostly be concerned with temperature, if the board has a tendency to get warm. Almost all potting in the industry is done with an epoxy.

Plus, I don't think I'd COUNT on the plasti-dip to keep the board dry, under serious water conditions...keep atmospheric moisture out, sure. Keep direct rain out? No. I would still use an enclosure. I guess I mean, I'd use it to moisture-proof, but not water-proof.

R

Wayne J
10-17-2009, 12:40 PM
There is a product you can get at Lowes or Home Depot, Carlon Weather Guard. It is a rubberized conformal coating. I would think it is a lot easier to remove if need be.

Look towards bottom of the page.
http://www.carlon.com/

I have a can here, but yet to use it.

n1ist
10-17-2009, 03:26 PM
You mentioned coils - some coatings may detune them enough to cause problems...

Photovor
10-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to take a look at the Carlon products. The board is actually a flash module from a disposable camera, so I can't see an issue coating it- I guess I'll have to do one and give it a shot.

budude
10-18-2009, 07:45 PM
You may want to wrap up the circuit in something (plastic, parchment paper, etc) before coating so that you can just cut away that outside layer if you need to repair it later. It would keep the dip stuff out of the inards of any components too.