PDA

View Full Version : Another Multifunction Controller Question

klanger
10-17-2009, 07:54 AM
I have 2 ropelights with the 8 function controller attached that I want to remove.

1 is a LED ropelight 2 colours, white and blue, the contoller has 240VAC coming in and 220VDC output to the LEDS. I understand the LEDS like DC and have removed the controller and rectifid the 240VAC to DC with 4 diodes. The ropelght works as advertised.

The 2nd set is a "normal" type of ropelight i.e not LED, and the controller is the same for both and the output is 220VDC.

My question is, why would the "normal" ropelight need DC? and can I run them with AC? or should I do the same as I did for the LED ropelight and rectify the AC to DC?

Picture attached of the inards of the controllers.

jpb
10-19-2009, 10:43 PM
If the 2nd controller rectifies the output I would probably stick with the DC just to be sure.
I have cut the controllers off my Mort Bay 4 colour 2 channel rope light and run them on AC. With these the controller just appears to provides isolation.

Jon

RPM
10-20-2009, 01:46 AM
I have 2 ropelights with the 8 function controller attached that I want to remove.

1 is a LED ropelight 2 colours, white and blue, the contoller has 240VAC coming in and 220VDC output to the LEDS. I understand the LEDS like DC and have removed the controller and rectifid the 240VAC to DC with 4 diodes. The ropelght works as advertised.

The 2nd set is a "normal" type of ropelight i.e not LED, and the controller is the same for both and the output is 220VDC.

My question is, why would the "normal" ropelight need DC? and can I run them with AC? or should I do the same as I did for the LED ropelight and rectify the AC to DC?

Picture attached of the inards of the controllers.

The "normal" incandescent ropelight doesn't need DC, but the controller attached to probably it does. Also, many of those types of controllers use an SCR output device that would normally only conduct half of the AC cycle, but since the input is full wave rectified DC to the SCR's, the lights would still get the full voltage potential.
If all you want is to do is cut the controller off, the incandescent lights should work on AC just fine.

klanger
10-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys, thats what I did, cut the controller and ran with AC.
Seems to be brighter, which is ok by me.

Kev

wjohn
10-20-2009, 03:47 PM
zap zap, is that a Klanger lit up?

daviddth
10-22-2009, 01:10 AM
John, with all the help he's got here - it's like our little Son has gone and grown up overnight. Soon he'll know everything, hate us, but still want to borrow the car Friday night....

wjohn
10-22-2009, 01:41 AM
yikes, if that's my offspring, I am going to drown it.