PDA

View Full Version : My hat is off to all sequencers out there.

jerryinmich57
10-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Hello there everyone newbie here in north eastern Michigan. First off let me say i am in amazed by some of the displays i have seen on the web. I have downloaded vixen and made a test plug with leds to plug into my parallel port and they light when they are supposed to. still looking for relays (very limited budget likea lot of people) to wire up and believe i understand the concept of setting up a 8 channel display I understand I can maybe do 12 channels off one parallel port but for now I don't see that being a smart move on my part. That being said I am amazed by any who can sequence more than a couple of channels. lol Just trying to something simple like one christmas song is driving me crazy (I think a music background would help). I can't imagine what it must be like doing 200 or 300 channels. Well enough for now.
Later Jerry

g2ktcf
10-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Jerry,

I suggest that you look into buying a REN SS 8 board from waynej and a few parts from Mouser.com. The cost is about the same or less than what a relay board would be and its EXPANDABLE and Dimmable. I consider it a great way to get started in this hobby. It is small enough to be built quickly and powerful enough to get 256 levels of dimming on all 8 channels.

Just run the cost and compare them and you will see what I am talking about. No matter which way you go, I wish you luck.

Welcome to DIYC!

Cheers,
Chris

xtreme christmas
10-16-2009, 10:03 AM
From a newbie stand point myself. Chris is 100% correct. At least it can be reused latter. You will be glad you did. I bought a grinch and ssr back in say feb. 2009. But over the last 6 months I decided that I needed dimming, so I bought a renc and rent. And now I changed everthing to six ren24ss. The renss AKA standard series. Is a self contained board that has everything on it. One simple connection to your computer and your done. It was a great design and easy to build....Hope this helps you not waste money on something useless next year... By the way your hooked already. Its a drug that you cant enough of..James