PDA

View Full Version : My Bethlehem Star

daviddth
10-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Well I managed to build my Bethlehem Star back in January, but until recently I had no lights to put on it. Thanks to the purchase of over 140 sets of lights (150 light, Arlec 24V sets) at a Bunnings 50km away, I have a few spare sets. Most of the additional sets went to additional colors, or replacing old sets, but I still had 30 or so left over, so 3 sets were used for this project

Here is a link to a demo of the animation, but I still need to work on a better animation for the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVZYf-ZRnjI

The star is 3 channel, 405 lights (1.5V, 0.09W), 4.5 ft (135cm) high, and 3 ft (90cm) wide. It's 5mm steel bar welded onto 20mm square tube for support. Lights are held in place with light clips sourced from DIY Christmas here in Australia.

g2ktcf
10-09-2009, 08:36 AM
very nice David!!!

dirknerkle
10-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Good job! Isn't it fun to re-ignite a project like that and see it in action?!?!?

Bumble Yeti Starman
10-12-2009, 01:30 AM
Remarkable!!!! Remarkable!!!! Bravo!!! Bravo!!!

I swear if you put a how to of this up I will be able to convince Mrs. Bumble it is time to get a welder. Ok, maybe not, but my buddy will let me borrow his. However he only allows me to borrow it when I have a definitive plan. Something about me drooling, shouting "pretty sparks" and asking if it can burn a hole in the ground.

toodle_pipsky
10-12-2009, 02:07 AM
Nice work Dave!

Next year you can make me one . . . . . Although the hard part will be getting it past airport security . . . . ;)

daviddth
10-12-2009, 05:03 AM
Yeah it's not quite "Carry On Luggage" lol

tallan
10-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Hey david,

Man thats great I was just wondering how you got the lights so tight? Are you using clips or zip ties?

Thanks,
Ted

daviddth
10-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Clips for 5mm wireframes. The cable is wrapped around the bar in a specific way to minimise loose wire and the lights are actually in 2 rows, offset on each side of the main support bar so you get 2 rows of light, doubling the brightness on the same length.

The main reason for that was each set of lights here had 15 per section, and the entire 15 set fitted tightly in each length of bar (30 at the bottom and 22 at the top)

tallan
10-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Hey David,

Yeah they really look nice like that. I just did something in zip ties and it was a pain. Where did you get the wire frame clips? That might be a whole lot easier.

Thanks again,
Ted

FeathersEverywhere
10-29-2009, 12:44 AM
Way cool! I got a wireframe 3D version last year, I have yet to put any lights on it but I think it still looks way cool. Now if I could just figure out how to mount it on my roof ;) LOL

Angel

daviddth
10-29-2009, 06:36 AM
Ted, I bought mine from a local supplier in Australia, but google light clips or wire frame light clips - I found hundreds of places in the USA and 2 in Australia lol ( Edit: mine were from here http://www.diychristmas.com/clips.html )

Angel - I bought 3 used wire frames this week, but they are for next years display. One, a Shooting star, has a lot of potential for a serious 2 or 3 color upgrade, and multi-channel for the trailing tails as well. That will look great mounted above the roof.... once I work out just how do to that lol

WireWrap
10-29-2009, 10:33 AM
One, a Shooting star, has a lot of potential for a serious 2 or 3 color upgrade, and multi-channel for the trailing tails as well. That will look great mounted above the roof.... once I work out just how do to that lol

I know where you can get a great deal on a saucer-shaped helium balloon that you could suspend it from.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tallan
10-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks David,

I'll look into getting some of those!

Ted

FeathersEverywhere
10-30-2009, 12:49 AM
Angel - I bought 3 used wire frames this week, but they are for next years display. One, a Shooting star, has a lot of potential for a serious 2 or 3 color upgrade, and multi-channel for the trailing tails as well. That will look great mounted above the roof.... once I work out just how do to that lol

Yeah, well, when you figure that out, let me know LOL

Angel

wjohn
11-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Well I managed to build my Bethlehem Star back in January, but until recently I had no lights to put on it.

I noticed a few things in the photo:

Desk is not tidy
Beer bottle on the left hand side of the desk,
Dinner plate beside the beer bottle
Can of Metho under the bench for when the beer runs out
Girlie Curtains on the shelves to hid the mess.

toodle_pipsky
11-08-2009, 09:42 AM
. . . Beer bottle on the left hand side of the desk,. . .

Yeah he's "Mr La-De-Da-Crownie" ;)

wjohn
11-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Yeah he's "Mr La-De-Da-Crownie" ;)

normally David drinks the stuff from Aldi, must have had friends over.

daviddth
11-09-2009, 03:52 AM
I noticed a few things in the photo:
Desk is not tidy

That IS tidy!

Beer bottle on the left hand side of the desk,

Yep, it was about 8pm, so thats normal

Dinner plate beside the beer bottle

Yeah see above

Can of Metho under the bench for when the beer runs out

Nah I have a 2 litre stash of scotch for that

Girlie Curtains on the shelves to hid the mess.

More like to keep the mess off the tools under there :)

daviddth
11-12-2009, 04:22 AM
Well it's on the house - YAY. Might get some pics tomorrow :)