PDA

View Full Version : Steep pitched roof?

Penfold
10-07-2009, 05:12 PM
My house has a steep pitched roof and last year I remember it was hell leaning forward and spreading out so that I could steady myself a little better. (Luckily I was using those plastic roof clamps and when I was tearing down the display it just took a quick tug and it all camp down in one motion) Last year I only had one color on the roof. This year I am going tricolor. Does anyone have a little trick to help me out or am I at the mercy of my own devices and a glutton for punishment due to the Mrs. saying she likes the lights on the roof line (Ahh.... :rolleyes: What we do for our loved ones).

Mike

Virtus
10-07-2009, 05:22 PM
I can't get on my roof in the winter so I mount all my lights (up there) on 2x4s and lay them up there from the edge on a ladder.

Penfold
10-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Hmmmmm...... I could see that working, but since I live here next to the coast it's usually windy. It's not uncommon to have 25 mile winds here and I would be afraid of seeing these tumbling down. Do you fasten the 2X4 on to the roof in any way or you just let gravity take it's course?

eswets
10-07-2009, 05:37 PM
I installed a tie point on the peek of my house and m using my rock climbing ropes and harness to dangle by the gutter to install my roof lights. Last year I used a 40' extention ladder (fiberglass) and about dropped it ten times. Not to mention it weights a ton!

dirknerkle
10-07-2009, 06:05 PM
i installed a tie point on the peek of my house and m using my rock climbing ropes and harness to dangle by the gutter to install my roof lights.

gotta have pictures of that!!!

djulien
10-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Does anyone have a little trick to help me out or am I at the mercy of my own devices and a glutton for punishment due to the Mrs. saying she likes the lights on the roof line

If you mean installing them at the edge of the roof (as opposed to a net covering the roof) and if you're okay with the extra effort to install more durable hooks the first time, subsequent years can be very easy. The way I put up icicles along the roof line is described here: http://downloads.eshepherdsoflight.com/Howidid-ChaseCicles.pdf (see page 9).

don

Virtus
10-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Do you fasten the 2X4 on to the roof in any way or you just let gravity take it's course?

I put them along the edges of the roof on the gable end with the length going down the slope (like an inverted "V") and use pipe hanger over the ridge and let that hold the two from sliding down.

Sloanhaus
10-08-2009, 07:48 AM
I installed eye bolt on my roof line and use 2 inch pvc pipe to hoist my 4 colors of icicle lights. I store the pvc with the lights attached in the garage which keeps them very strait. Pull them out of the garage and pully them up using the eye bolt.

Brad

WWNF911
10-08-2009, 04:33 PM
I installed eye bolt on my roof line and use 2 inch pvc pipe to hoist my 4 colors of icicle lights. I store the pvc with the lights attached in the garage which keeps them very strait. Pull them out of the garage and pully them up using the eye bolt.

Brad

I remember that from last year. Looked like it worked out well.