PDA

View Full Version : Hardwire or use extension cords

Photovor
09-21-2009, 02:28 PM
I'd like to know how everyone connects their light strings to controllers. I know some people cut the ends off and hard-wire them to their boards (to save on extension cords), some just use a ton of extension cords. What do you do?

jrock64
09-21-2009, 02:45 PM
All my boards have 6ft pig tails(lamp cords) attached.
With careful controller placement this will reach 95% of my items.
Everything keeps the original plugs.

Joel

budude
09-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Pretty much the same - using mostly 6' cords but a few 9' and 15' here and there. Other than that I have 30/50' extension cords for other stuff (like from my LOR boxes).

ppohlman
09-21-2009, 04:53 PM
I hard-wire my lights into the SSR on my mini trees only; 4 channels and 4 colors (red, green, blue, white).
All other SSRs and controllers have extension cords installed (mixture of 3', 6', 12', 15') A majority of the SSRs are 3'.

kostyun
09-21-2009, 05:10 PM
I have gone away from the long cords on the lights or controllers to just using extension cords.

All Controllers have 12" tail cords.

In 2006, I "extended" the lights on 1/2 of my mini trees by ~12 ft by soldering in wire. When I went to change things around in 2007 - I had a bunch of excess cord on some that I then had to do away with.

I now stick with extension cords (even through it costs more) in the end as things change from year to year I just plug them in. This is also true since I'm not going to cut up a $12 to $15+ set of full wave LED lights either as I'm switching to LED's.

ppohlman
09-21-2009, 05:17 PM
This is also true since I'm not going to cut up a $12 to $15+ set of full wave LED lights either as I'm switching to LED's.

Good point.

If I had LED light sets, I probably would not cut off the ends.
But I don't mind doing it on a string of mini's at $ 0.25 a box.

djulien
09-21-2009, 06:06 PM
I have some props where the light strings are hard-wired into the SSRs because they will always be used together in the same arrangement, but mostly I hook up outlets to the SSRs so I can plug in lights directly (if they will reach) or use an extension cord. That seems to provide good flexibility. I used the outlets because they seemed cheaper than extension cords for the times when the light strings will reach (several all in one place), but yet would work with an extension cord if the layout changes next time.

don

Wayne J
09-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Use cords. Just makes things easier.